Tuesday, June 25, 2019

The Oppenheimer Report 6/24/19

Flock Of Seagulls
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that escapism seems to be overtaking the film industry? A while back, perhaps during the last Oscars, I remarked that I was tired of all the emphasis Hollywood was placing upon superhero movies, and fantasy movies in general. Yes, I have an imagination, and I enjoy a good fantasy film, but there are so many interesting, real, and new stories to tell. I also suggested that the reason those big budget Marvel movies and Game-Of-Thrones-style fantasies are so popular, especially now, is because there is heightened trepidation about the state of the real world. Donald The Imbecile, as I have newly crowned him, routinely flirts with international disaster, and American politics has begun to resemble the World Wrestling Federation. Vision, creativity, and leadership are sorely lacking, and this is reflected in the music to which we listen.

Billy Macpherson, a musician friend with whom I recently sang a duet in the Hunters Bay Radio fundraiser event at Huntsville’s Algonquin Theatre, gave me an interesting article to read the other day. It was written by singer-song writer/ playwright Ian Tamblyn, and in it, he traces the gradual decline of popular music as a valued art form. The gist of the article is that the digitalization of music has facilitated that decline. Once an expensive venture, largely controlled by big record companies, the recording and promotion of music had become much easier and cheaper with the emergence of digital recording. Gradually, a new generation of listeners, raised in the digital age, came to believe that they shouldn’t have to pay for recorded music. Why buy the cow when the milk is free? No longer are fans buying (or listening) to entire albums of music. Now they buy, or download for free, only the songs they choose. While the field of talented artists continues to grow exponentially, the rewards for being creative and talented are getting harder to reap. I realize this sounds like Jamie the fuddy-duddy, ranting about the “music these days”. I confess I am a little grumpy today. Still, I think that there are more young people these days listening to the music my generation likes than there were young people from my generation, listening to the music our parents liked. By the way, I’m not saying I don’t like Hip Hop or Rap – there is a sub-culture of those two genres about which I am learning and have come to respect and appreciate – I’m talking about what is being played as pop music on commercial radio today.  
  
This week, I decided to broadcast another all request theme show, and I put up a post on Facebook asking for weird, bizarre, goofy, bubble-gummy, and otherwise unusual pop songs that my listeners remember from their past. In my opinion, even the terrible novelty songs from the distant past seem pretty good to me, when compared to the soul-sucking auto-tuned, synthesized sameness of much of today’s pop music. It all goes back to what I suggested at the beginning of this report. In my opinion, imagination is on injured reserve. In the five hours after asking for quirky pop songs, I had 43 responses. Typically, I will receive somewhere between 60 and 100 song suggestions in the month leading up to one of these theme-based all-request shows with a theme, but there may be more for this one. Next month on Lyrical Workers, I will place emphasis on Canadian pop music. I fully expect to get some imaginative selections suggested by my listeners. They have not let me down so far. I know that I will have a lot of fun putting that show together. Yes, of course Yummy, Yummy, Yummy by Ohio Express will be on the playlist. It’s one of my favorites! What is YOUR goofy pop tune choice??

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer ©2019
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
jamieoppenheimersongwriter@gmail.com

Jamie Oppenheimer, Songwriter, Author, Blogger, Radio Producer, & Host has been writing THE OPPENHEIMER REPORT every MONDAY since 1992 and has published the articles on his blog since 2006. We are including Jamie's weekly reports, as a new feature of #HuntersBayRadio, The Bay 88.7FM.
#GotLocalHuntersBayRadio.com #WeAreMuskoka #WeAreAlmaguin

No comments: