Monday, June 10, 2019

The Oppenheimer Report 6/10/19



Let there be no mistake, I am not a fan of basketball. In fact, I’ve lost much of my limited interest in professional sports. I was once a big fan of the Buffalo Sabres, and for about 20 years, beginning with the inception of the franchise, my family held seasons tickets and attended all Sabres home games. They broke my heart hundreds of times, but I remained a loyal fan for a long time. Then, in '94, when I got married and moved to Toronto, I gradually got sucked into the Toronto Maple Leafs vortex of doom. The Leafs were the nail in the coffin for me. I have always maintained the opinion that professional sports are over-rated. While the athletes are often remarkably talented, the obscene amounts of money involved spoil everything for me. Lately I have lost interest in most professional sports, developing the same disdain that I have for overpaid pop musicians, and celebrities in general. I feel, especially here in North America, much too much emphasis is placed upon the ones who earn the most money. I concede that they are paid enormous salaries because they attract large audiences and earn money for their employers, but there is a universe of talent out there that is eclipsed by the overpaid few. I suppose I’ve always felt that way, but the older I get and the grumpier I become, the less inclined I am to get worked up over a team that will inevitably break my heart.

Enter the Toronto Raptors. As I said, I am not a basketball fan, and never have been, but from the moment I watched Kawhi Leonard’s remarkable last-second, four-bouncer basket to beat the 76ers, I was hooked. I’ve watched every Raptors playoff game since that win, and it has been an exciting ride. Buoyed by the exuberating energy of the Toronto fans, I have been swept up in the excitement, and will watch their journey until the bitter or sweet end. I have learned more about the sport in the past three weeks than I ever knew, and the more I understand the strategies of the game, the more I appreciate their victories. What particularly impresses me about the team is that they do not appear to be overtly arrogant or cocky. I remember watching the Buffalo Bills just before their first (and I think most humiliating) bid for the Superbowl title, and their arrogance was palpable. To a man, the Raptors seem composed, focused, and most astonishingly, relatively humble. The message so clearly received from these underdogs is: we haven’t finished the job; we will try our hardest, and we will not pop the cork until we win. I love the story, not only because they are the underdog, but because they have fought so hard to get where they are, for so long, supported by so many loyal and enthusiastic Toronto fans. Is it not appropriate that the only Canadian NBA team is a strong contender to be overall champions, given that James Naismith, a Canadian, invented the sport? I don’t know what will happen tonight, but regardless of the outcome of this game, they still have three more chances after that, and they’ve already done their fans, their city, and their country proud.

Final note. While I lost interest in the Stanley Cup playoffs after the Leafs were eliminated, I am encouraged to note that the Boston Bruins, who barely beat the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first round, are now headed back to Boston for Game 7 of the finals. Don Cherry said they’re going to win the cup, and shouldn’t we believe everything that snappy dresser says? Even though I am an abused sports fan, and even though I have sworn not to get sucked into pro sports ever again, I have been intoxicated by the Toronto fandemonium, and cannot help myself.

But I still hate pro sports.

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer ©2019
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
jamieoppenheimersongwriter@gmail.com

No comments: