Thursday, July 04, 2019

The Oppenheimer Report 7/4/19

The Miss Buffalo In The Buffalo Harbour

A belated Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian friends, and Happy 4th of July to all my friends stateside. I didn’t want to go an entire week without writing this report, but I am a little late. As I am still a yank, I suppose the 4th is an appropriate day to post. I could make the excuse that it was because of all the festivities surrounding Canada Day, but in truth the week just got away from me. I was in Huntsville on Canada Day to attend the first ever Hunters Bay Radio Canada Day music festival (“Canadafest”), featuring bands from Huntsville to London, England. The weather was beautiful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Huntsville’s River Mill Park venue is a great place to hear music, and although there were likely other Canada Day events taking place in Huntsville, nothing beats a free music festival by the waterfront. Attendance was respectable, and I expect that next year’s festival will be an even bigger success.

As an American, I am tempted to devote this entire report (but won’t) to the latest atrocity foisted upon us by Donald The Imbecile. Nothing says Happy 4th of July like placing Army tanks in front of the Lincoln Memorial in D.C.. Let’s completely ruin the celebration of my country’s independence by showing off our military might with a garish display of weaponry, smack dab in the middle of our nation’s capital. This tasteless sabre rattling is just one more in a series of undiplomatic blunders which more resemble the dictators Rump is embracing than the actions of a responsible leader of the Free World. I’m surprised “His Orangeness” didn’t order a fireworks display to emblazon the sky with his likeness. The antithesis of diplomacy, Rump wants to turn a 4th of July celebration into a self-aggrandizing political rally, and it turns my stomach. There, I did it in a paragraph.

I love fireworks, and I particularly loved explosives in my ill-spent youth. I’m not talking about lady fingers, or even cherry bombs; I’m talking about construction-grade explosives. A friend used to buy a gross of M-80’s shortly before this holiday, off the back of a pickup truck from a nice little old lady, who would mysteriously appear in downtown Buffalo shortly before the 4th, then return to the bowels of hell wherefrom she came. There’s nothing like a well-placed M-80 to wake the dead. We also used to drive our boats into the Buffalo Harbour for the annual fireworks display on the waterfront, and that was usually an adventure. Lots of people who own boats are not particularly well versed in the common sense rules of boating, and when one adds alcohol into the equation, that is a recipe for disaster.

Of all the fireworks displays I have viewed from the Buffalo waterfront, one stands out. At the time I owned a classic 1957 Chris Craft Sea Skiff utility, I, along with a group of my friends, motored to the Buffalo Harbour for the fireworks display. For some reason, the boating crowd was particularly unruly that night, and there seemed to be a lot of heavy drinking going on. The police boats were very busy, as some of the more inexperienced boaters moored in the inner harbor, directly in the path of a well-marked channel, meant to be kept clear for the passage of The Miss Buffalo tour boat. One boat, a large cruiser, was not only in the path of the Miss Buffalo, but its drunken passengers were shooting off hand-held Roman candles at the other boats. Before the police could get to these bozos, fate intervened, and the Miss Buffalo came motoring through. As she sounded her unmistakable horn, none of the offending boaters in her path were prepared to pull up their anchors fast enough to avoid the inevitable. As impressive as the fireworks display was, nothing was as entertaining as watching that 100+ foot tour boat barrel through the Buffalo Harbour, dragging five or ten unlucky boats by their tangled mooring lines off her stern. As these drunken idiots banged into each other, scrambling to cut their mooring lines, hundreds of the more responsible boaters cheered and honked their horns. Karma is indeed a bitch. Again, Happy Canada Day week to all my Canadian readers, and Happy 4th of July, to my American readers. I am thankful to live in a free country; and my greatest hope is that it will always remain so.

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer ©2019
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
jamieoppenheimersongwriter@gmail.com
Jamie Oppenheimer, Songwriter, Author, Blogger, Radio Producer, & Host has been writing THE OPPENHEIMER REPORT every MONDAY since 1992 and has published the articles on his blog since 2006. We are including Jamie's weekly reports, as a new feature of #HuntersBayRadio, The Bay 88.7FM.
#GotLocalHuntersBayRadio.com #WeAreMuskoka #WeAreAlmaguin


No comments: