Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back to Katrine 8/23/11

I am sitting in my childhood home in Buffalo, about to leave for to return to Katrine. Shauna left with Jasper the other day. Furniture has been spoken for, clothes have been given away, lawyers, accountants, funeral directors, appraisers, house sitters etc. have all done or will do their respective duties. While there are many loose ends to attend to, for now we have done what we were expected to do, and now I need to go back to my wife and my dog for a little R&R. Rattling around alone in this big old house is chipping away at me. I look forward to motoring out into the lake in my little boat and saying my spiritual goodbyes to the past.

The other night I had a disturbing experience while out walking Jasper near the house in Buffalo, and it reminded me how important it is to be thankful for my health and good fortune. As I rounded a corner returning to our house, I watched a bicyclist lose control and fall hard on the street right in front of me. She was clearly badly injured and as luck would have it, an off duty Erie County Sheriff was nearby when it happened. Shaken up,  I watched as the ambulance took her away, and reminded myself that not everyone is fortunate enough to live a full and healthy life. It is important to remind myself of this from time to time.

For all of you who attended the service or wrote a note, thank you. I should be back to my usual loquacious,complaining, annoying, irreverent self  in a few weeks. Hopefully, if you have followed this blog in the past, you will continue to do so.

Jamie

No comments: