Friday, December 18, 2020

The Oppenheimer Report 12/14/20

 


I saw a cartoon the other day and it made me chuckle. I think somebody had doctored up a Peanuts comic and in it Snoopy was sitting on top of his doghouse typing a letter to the year 2020. The caption read: “Dear 2020, First of all, let me say I’m typing this letter with my middle finger.” I think that about sums it up. I recently posted a spoof of a Dr. Seuss book cover, having to do with the controversial issue of masks vs. no masks. Of course, that drew some heat. Zealots rarely have a sense of humour. The other day, there was a post on the Hunters Bay Radio Facebook page, reporting on the Supreme Court decision to throw out the last Hail Mary act of desperation by the Republicans to negate Joe Biden’s obviously legitimate win. That post prompted a thread of unbelievably the nasty, hateful remarks. Everyone is so full of pent up rage that they have completely forsaken common decency and respect. A thinking man might be wondering if the world has finally lost its collective mind.

   

For me, this holiday is always bittersweet in the best of times. It so glaringly highlights the needs of those who are experiencing hardship. I believe goodwill and charitable behavior are to be practiced year-round, but it seems to be emphasized around Christmas time.  Shauna and I just made our annual donation to the local food bank, as we have done ever since we moved up here. This year our gift was substantially larger than usual for obvious reasons. We contribute to many other local charities, and as well to individuals whom we deem to be food insecure or otherwise in peril financially. While we do what we can, especially now, I feel as if it is not enough. Particularly this year, I have the sense that more people need our help than ever, and it can be discouraging. I wish I could direct people away from their fear and rage, but I wouldn’t know where to start. I see the corrosive posts and tweets on social media, and I’m bombarded with news of people’s deplorable behavior, and it seems like Pandora’s Box is wide open. It’s the same old story. This group hates that group because that group has different beliefs. Black, white, red, yellow, rich, poor, masker/anti-masker, liberal, conservative, Jew, Muslim, Christian; COVID 19 does not discriminate. We’re all in peril, and it seems only logical for all of us to get on the same page. Whether you believe we are experiencing a pandemic or not, and astoundingly, many do not, that reality will someday be a matter of historical fact. In the meantime, our health care workers and first responders, woefully undervalued, are at increased risk because uninformed people are free to endanger their fellow citizens. There will always be some who deny reality - I never cease to be amazed that there are still those who deny the Holocaust ever occurred – but never before have I seen so many denying it. I blame bad leaders, but that begs the question, who elected them?

 

Today is Day 5 of Hanukkah. My holiday wish for the world is that we miraculously come to our senses, resist our basest instincts, and take our cues from the heroes all around us. I am fortunate to have known more than a few of them, and I choose to believe and respect those role models. By all means disagree, but agree to disagree, and show a little respect. You may think you know the truth, and maybe you’re closer to it than I am; maybe you’re not. The next time you are about to push “send” with your angry retort, count to ten and maybe don’t do it. That simple act might be a better statement than you would have otherwise made. Hatred and revenge are not the solutions to our problems. Play nice, and Seasons Beatings!

 

- Written by Jamie Oppenheimer ©2020 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: