Wednesday, May 06, 2020

The Oppenheimer Report 5/4/20


One of the things that blows my mind about social media, other than the fact that people can personally attack their perceived enemies with impunity and broadcast their every pearl of wisdom to a universe of cyberspace recipients who could care less, is the fact that I can communicate with otherwise inaccessible people in the music business. In the past five years, and through my affiliation with Hunters Bay Radio, I’ve interacted with dozens of successful songwriters and musicians whom I admire.  As well, I’ve been blessed to meet some talented performers. I remember back around 2014, I walked in the front door of Hunters Bay Radio and there on the stage was my late friend James Carroll, interviewing Alan Doyle, lead singer for the band Great Big Sea. Music is the universal language, and I feel that our little radio station is beginning to get that message out.    

Dean McTaggart is one singer/songwriter with whom I recently made contact. I featured some of his songs in last week’s LYRICAL WORKERS show. I am currently reading the book “Talk! Conversations In All Keys” by musician/producer/arranger/radio host Bill King. Dean McTaggart’s name came up in a discussion about Amanda Marshall’s self-titled debut album. That is a great album for many reasons, certainly not the least of which is Amanda Marshall’s distinctive and bluesy voice. What impresses me most about the album is the great songwriting, and when I learned that Mr. McTaggart had written four of my favorite songs on the album, I had to let him know. He was kind enough to write back and, though him, I have learned about several more songwriters with whom I was unfamiliar. With every new contact, and every new story imparted, I learn a little more about the craft. Many are familiar with the artists who make songs famous, but I’m more interested in the writers.  Liza Minelli and Frank Sinatra made the song “New York New York” a hit, but how many people know that Fred Ebb and John Kander were the lyricist and composer of that song?
We got a lovely email from our friend and singer / songwriter Jon Brooks the other day, and in the message he talks about this “time out” for mankind, wherein people are perhaps more inclined to listen to songs carefully. His hope, and ours, is that as humanity resets, good songs will be an important part of the healing process. He is hopeful that, as a result of this pandemic, superior lyrical content will become more relevant, to a wider audience. I hope he’s right, because I fear we’re losing our capacity to listen.

Fellow volunteer and friend at Hunters Bay Radio, TECH 5 commentator Ben Harrison, sent me an interesting article the other day. It concerned the remarkable nature of trees, and their ability to take root almost anywhere. The article included a series of photographs illustrating the myriad of ways trees manage to grow in harsh environments. There are pictures of trees growing out of rocks, pavement, and old, rotted tree stumps. It’s a subtle reminder of the tenacity of Mother Nature. She will always prevail, and man’s hubris will be but a footnote in one volume of the Encyclopedia Of Life. I heard a sobering statistic on the news the other day. It was reported that, as of last week, COVID-19 has killed more Americans in 3 months than the Viet Nam War did in 10 years. Ironically, that fact was reported as parts of America begin to open back up for business, despite dire warnings from health experts. Peterborough songwriter Washboard Hank recently released a live performance which I posted on my Facebook page. I think the title of the song, which he penned with Terry McEvoy, sums it all up quite nicely: “Ain’t No Cure For Stupid”.  

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer  ©2020  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments: