Monday, April 02, 2018

The Oppenheimer Report 4/2/18


Happy Easter to all my gentile friends, and Happy Passover to the members of my tribe. Because it is Easter Monday, and you are probably all by now recovering from your big Easter Sunday feasts, I think now is a fitting time to reprise my rabbit lab story. Forgive me if you’ve read it before, but with reference to a report I wrote a few weeks ago about the balance of nature, it recounts one of the more important lessons I learned in high school, and one of the few I still remember. Sit back and read about the time I killed a bunny.

In Grade 11 I took a science class called “Man In Nature”. It was taught by a man named Neil Currie, and Neil was at the time an active member of The Sierra Club. Judgmental punk that I was, I thought old Neil was a bit of a nerd, uncool because he was an avid bird watcher and a nature lover. While I and my scofflaw friends were out playing hooky, up to no good on a nearby golf course, we’d sometimes see Mr. Currie, dressed up in his khaki shorts and knee-high socks, sporting his Tilley hat, with his binoculars around his neck, observing the many species of birds on campus. What a geek.

One day in class, Neil began to discuss man’s carnivorous nature, and he suggested that most of us had become detached from the process of obtaining meat. Show of hands, how many of us eat meat? How many of us had ever watched meat being butchered? How many of us had ever killed an animal ourselves then skinned and ate it? His point was that we were a society of carnivores who was becoming further and further detached from the harsh reality of killing and eating our prey. Suddenly Neil wasn’t the geek wearing the Tilley hat anymore. He had lived in the wild, in conditions that I would describe as extreme camping, and he had a much clearer understanding of the laws of Nature than we did. Finally, he moved in for the close, which none of us saw coming. How many of us would agree to kill, butcher, and eat a rabbit, as an “experiment” in re-connecting with our inner carnivore? He rather ingeniously persuaded us to agree, and while no one was forced to participate in the experiment, almost everyone signed on for what would ultimately be a life-changing experience.

A week or so later, we the participants gathered outside the science building, and a man showed up, a rabbit farmer, to instruct us in the proper way to kill and butcher a rabbit. He wasted no time. From a cage full of rabbits, he reached in and grabbed one by the hind legs and, with what looked like a police baton, struck it on the head with great force. The rabbit shuddered for a moment and then, in an instant it was dead. Before we could react to what we had just seen, the man pulled out a butcher’s knife, cut off its head, and began to skin and butcher the dead animal. The whole process took maybe 3 minutes, and by the time it was all through, most of us were speechless. We were then called upon to form teams of two and to repeat what we had just observed. Now that it was getting real, a few more people lost their nerve and backed out, but I and most of the class participated.

I will not recount the chaos which ensued, but let it suffice to say that some of us are more successful at bunny butchering than others. In the end though, and in some cases with the assistance of the expert, we all managed to kill, skin, and butcher our rabbits. It was life-changing for me.Some of you reading this will ask yourselves what kind of a crazy, irresponsible teacher would encourage such a traumatic experience for his young and impressionable students. I am quite certain that this kind of learning experience would never be condoned by school authorities today, but things were a little different in 1973. In retrospect, I think what Neil did was brilliant. This science lab taught me a lot more than I would have ever learned from dissecting a frog. Anybody who was brought up on a farm, or who lived in a family of hunters would not be shocked or appalled by what we did, but this experience was monumental for a bunch of spoiled, jaded city kids who thought meat magically appeared in supermarket shelves. It was one of the most important lessons I’ve learned to date.

A week or so later, we had a barbecue at Neil Currie’s house, and you guessed it, rabbit was the main course. It was delicious, and there was a certain closure involved in eating the animals we had killed and butchered. I never want to do it again, anymore than I ever again want to rebuild the engine in a 1967 Triumph Spitfire, which I once did. Once was enough, but the lesson was learned. I think about that rabbit lab almost every time I browse the meat counter in a supermarket, and I now have a healthier understanding of the process of butchering meat. I am also more acutely aware of and sensitive to the ways in which man traumatizes and abuses animals.

There are many reasons why people become vegetarians. For some people meat is too expensive, others find it hard to digest. Some vegetarians simply object to killing any animals for food. I understand that, and I respect their choice. Having been through the process of killing and eating my own animal, I remain a carnivore. Because of that rabbit lab, I am perhaps a little more connected to the process. I think there are a few hypocrites among the militant animal rights zealots, because there are many ways we contribute to the death of animals other than by eating them. We wear leather shoes and other leather clothing, and animal by-products are used in a large variety of products that people use. I am now perhaps a little more mindful of my place in the food chain. Mother Nature takes no prisoners, and for me it is important to have some kind of understanding of my place in the natural world. In my opinion, we as a species are going in the wrong direction where this is concerned, and our ignorance of and disregard for the laws of nature will haunt us.

A girl friend of mine, who is a holistic medicine practitioner by profession, responded to an article I wrote recently about songwriter Jon Brooks, and more specifically about his album of murder anthems. She commented somewhat cynically that “we kill everything in the end”. I killed a rabbit once, and it changed my life.


  - Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2018 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: