Monday, March 05, 2018

The Oppenheimer Report 3/5/18


This probably falls into the category “I’ve run out of things to discuss in this report,” but humor me. 

We bought a food dehydrator a few months ago, and while it took me a while to get the hang of dehydrating food, I use it all the time now. With all the health problems Shauna has been experiencing, I’ve learned that there is a clear connection between autoimmune illnesses and problems with the gut. Because Shauna has Crohn’s Disease, and a myriad of other potentially related autoimmune disorders, I have been experimenting with dietary changes which might allow her besieged bowel to heal. We’re now eating more plant-based foods, and we have substantially reduced the amount of dairy, grains, and animal fat we consume. I bought the food dehydrator because I was looking for nutritional alternatives to corn chips and other snacks we used to eat. I have tried dehydrating a variety of fruits and vegetables and have found several we really like. The best part about a food dehydrator is that we no longer have spoilage; I simply dehydrate leftover fruit and vegetables before they can spoil. Dehydrated foods maintain much of their raw nutritional values, keep for a long time, and can be re-hydrated to be added to soups and stews.  

Here’s the issue. Neurotic individual that I am, it occurred to me the other day, as I was cutting up the fifteenth apple for the food dehydrator, that I may be subconsciously hunkering down. I think I may be going into survivor mode. I’m watching all these stories on the news about climate change and weather disasters, crazy despots and nuclear Armageddon, the seemingly exponential rise in mass shootings in public places, and of course Baby Rump’s daily chaos-inducing foot-in-mouth tweet, and I think all this negativity is eroding my anemic sense of security. Stress is widely considered to be a fertilizer for ill health, and I don’t think the world has ever seemed more stressed than it does right now. Just the other day, our quiet little rural community made the national news because there was a triple murder/suicide, very close to our home. Americans can’t seem to persuade their NRA-paid-for leaders that it is a wise decision to make automatic weapons a little harder to purchase, so I’m thinking the horse is out of the barn, barking up the wrong tree with both oars out of the water, and it didn’t look before it leaped. The talking heads keep drumming it into my head that the world is stockpiling ridiculously overpowered weapons ( if you can’t hit that rabbit you’re hunting with the first shot, the next fifty or sixty are bound to do the trick), wiping out endangered species (white rhino, you’re next), warming up the planet, and hating just about anybody who doesn’t look, act, or worship like us; and here I am, frantically cutting up food for dehydration, so that when civilization finally does reach that fast-approaching tipping point, Shauna, Jasper and I will have a three month supply of dried apples and beef jerky on which to survive. I’ve become a closet hunker-downer.       

When I was seven or eight years old, many of my friends lived in houses with bomb shelters. Cuba and the evil Russians had missiles pointed at the U.S., and we were told it was just a matter of time before someone blinked. We practiced drills in our school wherein we hid under our flimsy desks when an alarm was sounded. Even at that early age, I was skeptical that hiding under the desk was going to save me from a nuclear blast. I guess history is once again repeating itself, except now I won’t be hiding under a desk, I’ll be in my basement with a garbage bag full of dried fruit.

   - Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2018 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: