Monday, November 20, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report - 11/20/17


The subject of today’s discussion is garbage. The other day, my mom-in-law E.T. called me, somewhat amused, and she told me that she had seen an article she felt was newsworthy for the Oppenheimer report. It involved a story reported in The National Post about 2500 tons of garbage, in 103 shipping containers, which had been mistakenly shipped from Vancouver, B.C. to the Philippines. Ontario’s Chronic Inc., a Canadian plastics recycling firm, is being blamed for the “mistake”, but is denying the charges. Clearly someone screwed up, and it has become a diplomatic nightmare. For some reason that waste has been sitting in a port in Manila since it was delivered, four years ago. Asked about the situation while he was in Manila recently.PM Justin Trudeau reassured Philippines President Duterte that the matter is under consideration and that Canada will “hopefully” find a solution. Justin is batting 0 with Duterte after publicly dissing him over alleged human rights violations. This is apparently not the first time garbage from another country has been “dumped” on the Philippines; Japan has apparently been guilty of a similar crime. It is illegal for a developed country to ship its waste to a developing nation.

Years ago, I heard an interview with CBC anchor Peter Mansbridge, wherein he told the interviewer that he regularly takes his own garbage to the dump. If I recall correctly, he said it kept him grounded, and he wanted to acknowledge how much garbage he was generating. I take our garbage to the Burk’s Falls Dump, partly for the same reason, and partly because garbage collection is not a viable option for us. While there are private services which will remove garbage from private residences near us, they will only do so from the curbside. If I am going to assemble all my garbage and recycling, and drive it to the top of our 500-meter-long drive, I might as well take it the extra three miles to the dump. Besides, I’ve become friendly with the staff there. Some of my more interesting conversations happen at the Burk’s Falls dump.

When I first started going to the Burk’s Falls Landfill Site, back in 1994, the profile of the landscape was quite different. In the past 25 years or so it is remarkable how much things have changed. Recycling restrictions have changed considerably in that time, and we have, for the past ten years or so, been composting our organic waste at home. I try to keep most of that stuff out of the landfill. I often joke that Shauna and I have the carbon footprint of Sasquatch, and in fact we have been very wasteful. One thing I can say about taking one’s own garbage to the dump is that it makes one more mindful of just how much waste we generate. I see how fast the landfill mound is building, and as the local population continues to grow, that mound is likely to be a mountain soon. I used to stop in the supermarket before my radio show and pick up a pre-packaged sandwich to eat while I was broadcasting, but I rarely do that anymore. Everything comes packaged in a plastic container. We have a Tassimo coffee machine, which uses plastic coffee pods (which are almost impossible to recycle). I have always wondered why, like Keurig, Tassimo does not offer a compostable pod. I just heard on the news that those plastic pods will soon be outlawed here, in favor of compostable pods. 

Cynic that I am, I doubt my little attempt to reduce our waste is going to make much difference, and certainly will not reverse the trend of developing (and growing) Third World nations to disregard our stressed planet. I believe that the horse is out of the barn and barking up the wrong tree with both oars out of the water. I suspect Mother Nature will have the last laugh, but at least I can say I was on deck when the ship went down.   


 - Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: