Monday, November 13, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report 11/13/17

Uncle Morry with (I believe) my late
sister Joanne
Because it was Remembrance Day last Saturday, I’d put out another Facebook request for war songs to feature in last Thursday night’s Lyrical Workers show. The response was, once again, overwhelming. As with the Halloween show, I learned about some great songs that I’d never before heard. Some of these war songs were quite dark, dealing with post-traumatic stress and the general hell which is war. Last year about this time – and I can’t believe a year has passed since I wrote the report – I spoke of a friend of mine named Richard, who was a Viet Nam vet. A musician friend suggested I write a song about this vet, and that will be one of my projects for the new year.

Years ago, when Shauna’s dad was at Sunnybrook Hospital, I began writing a song about his roommate on the stroke ward. Her name was Juanita, and she was obviously a very sick woman. I remember her screaming a lot, and she was clearly in emotional and physical distress. From time to time she would settle down, and we sometimes spoke during her calmer moments. She’d come from the Caribbean islands, she was herself a nurse (cruel irony), and she seemed to be quite religious. That whole Sunnybrook stroke ward experience was enlightening, to say the least, and I met a lot of interesting people that I might not have otherwise met. In fact, the experience was in large part the impetus for my decision to quit drinking. If you’ve ever been on a ward full of stroke victims, you will know it is a special kind of hell on earth, both for the patients and for their families. Exhausted one night, I remember taking a break in one of the sitting areas on the ward, not far from Dad Taylor’s room, and Juanita was having one of her waking nightmares. I could hear her angry voice from 50 yards away. It was late summer I believe, and the weather was ripe for a powerful thunderstorm. It had been oppressively hot and humid all day, and now the sun was finally going down. The sky was a weird shade of pink, bordering on orange/yellow, and there was an eerie stillness to the dusk. As I looked out the window, I had the strong feeling that something bad was about to happen. While nothing did, the seeds of a song were planted in my head at that moment, and I wrote down the following lyric: “Juanita, this wasn’t what you had planned/ Broken promises from your promised land/ Jaunita you’re doing the best that you can/ But you’re already blowing in the coming wind.” The other day I finished a ninth draft of that song, four years after its inception, and I think it’s finally nearing completion. I suppose I needed some distance from the experience to dilute the overbearingly personal nature of the song.

Back to Richard, the Viet Nam vet; he was another scarred individual. By getting to know him, I came about as close as I ever had to comprehending the bad things war could do to a person. I read a book years ago, written by news anchor Tom Brokaw, about the “Greatest Generation” of WW II vets, and it seemed as if those veterans were generally stoics about their experiences. At my real estate office in Buffalo, there was a partner who had been a paratrooper during WW II, and I think he was emotionally affected by his wartime experience. Richard was a different kind of screwed up though, and I suspect that it matters whether the cause for the war is clearly just. In World War II, the allies were fighting Hitler and the Nazis. I don’t know that the endgame in Viet Nam was as clear, and I suspect that many of the vets who fought in that war were as confused as I was. I worry about history repeating itself, as it often does.  

As a songwriter, I sometimes have no real understanding of the subject matter about which I am writing. I am an observer, and sometimes all I can do is tell the story of my experience, as clearly and succinctly as I can. Many of my songs are not written to be played to an audience. They may be the stepping stones to more universal songs, songs that might resonate with a larger audience. I write in hopes that one day I might pen that song.


- Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: