Monday, October 30, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report 10-30-17

Tomorrow is Halloween, and I’ll wager there were more than a few costume parties going on last Saturday night. I stopped in at the local Landmark Pub to see my friends The Jukebox Scoundrels play, but I did not realize it was a Halloween party. Luckily I’d brought along my dollar store fangs, so I did not stand out TOO much. I felt honor bound to put them in as soon as I saw all the costumed attendees lining up to get into the bar. My talented friend Juan Barbosa, now sober a week, was playing the gig, and I wanted to show him some support, knowing how challenging it can be to spend time in a bar sober when everyone around you is drinking. There were some great costumes, and as I watched two guys, one in a full bear costume (a la Ted) and the other in an 8’ inflatable Tyrannosaurus Rex costume, boogying wildly on the dance floor, it brought a smile to my face. I was reminded of some of the great Halloween celebrations I had attended or hosted over the years. You’re never too old for Halloween.  

I heard on the radio today that tonight is referred to as “Beggars Night” in some parts of the U.S., and it’s called “Devil’s Night” in Michigan. In Buffalo we called it Beggars Night, and we did not give out candy on Beggars Night. My father had strict rules: no candy on Beggar’s Night, and no costume, no candy on Halloween. We used to get some strange adults coming to our door in Buffalo on Halloween, looking for candy. Regardless, if there was even a feeble attempt at a costume, we offered treats to one and all. Do you remember the orange UNICEF boxes? I don’t know if kids still collect for UNICEF when they trick or treat. Mom always bought too much candy for Halloween, so I usually had a stash for the next several months. I always groaned when people gave out healthy treats. I noticed that bible thumper Pat Robertson was on television the other day, decrying Halloween as a pagan celebration that worships Satan. Really Pat? Wasn’t Christmas once a pagan celebration as well? Maybe next year I'll dress up like Pat Roberson.

I had fun last Thursday night airing the all requests show for my Hunters Bay Radio Lyrical Workers Halloween Spooktacular. I’d put out a call for unusual Halloween songs, and received over 60 requests, many of them new to me. Of course, many people requested Michael Jackson’s Thriller, which was no surprise. Dinner With Drac by John Zacherly was a pleasant surprise, as was Marie Lavaux by Bobby Bare and Baxtor Taylor. It’s remarkable how enthusiastic some people are about their Halloween novelty songs. John Tracey, my friend who lives in Upstate New York, sent me a number of eclectic Halloween tunes, and said my request happened to come at a time when he was putting together a mix tape for his Halloween Party. I now have plenty of new songs for next year’s show. Of course Dead Babies by Alice Cooper was in the set list (in my humble the Alice Cooper album “Killer” is a classic), as well as Bobby “Boris” Pickett’s Monster Mash. I always encourage listeners to send in their song requests for my show, either by Facebook, email, or by texting the Festing Toyota Text Line at Hunters Bay Radio (705-224-2527), but every few months or so, I also post for an all request show. That seems to elicit the most responses, and it’s always interesting to me as a songwriter to hear what other people like.

Today,  I reluctantly took off all the dock hardware and gloomily acknowledged that we might be coming to the end of boating season. I am still reminded of 2015 wherein the lake remained unfrozen unseasonably late, and I was able to use the dinghy on Christmas day. I’m guessing this is not going to be one of those years. As the temperature dropped to a chilly 4C, and I reached underneath the dock to unbolt the cleats, I was thinking perhaps I’m in denial. Yesterday, I putted across the lake to pay our landscaper his last bill of the season, but today I’m not sure I’d like to be out on the lake. Nevertheless, now that the hardware is off the dock, and it’s just a matter of removing the planks and cranking it up (thank goodness for retractable docks), I’ll leave the dinghy moored at the dock indefinitely. Hopefully, I’ll get in a few more trips around the lake before the snow flies. While cold weather boating is not one of my favorite pass times, any boating is good boating. Happy Halloween everyone!   

- Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mother was diagnosed with ALS in May 2014. Her doctor put her on riluzole, letting her know there was no cure but the medication might provide her a few more months of delayed symptoms. ALS progresses at different rates and affects different body parts first. My mother, being 80 at the time, fell into a category of what they call "fast progression" (older female). Her arms weakened first, then her hands, her mouth, and throat, and finally her lungs. Throughout her two-and-a-half-year ordeal, she was able to walk with assistance. All the while she continued to take the riluzole. If it bought my mother any time, we will never know. Her neurologist told us that if she couldn't afford it, there was no real need to take it. She lost touch with reality. Suspecting it was the medication I took her off the riluzole (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started her on the ALS natural herbal formula we ordered from GREEN HOUSE HERBAL CLINIC, We spoke to few people who used the treatment here in Canada and they all gave a positive response, her symptoms totally declined over a 7 weeks use of the Green House ALS disease natural herbal formula. She is now almost 83 and doing very well, the disease is totally reversed! (Visit their website www . Greenhouseherbalclinic . com) I am thankful to nature, herbs are truly gift from God. Share with friends!!