Monday, August 21, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report 8/21/17



Miscellaneous ramblings at 2:45 A.M. … I love to write; I don’t think there is a better reason to do it. Writing is therapy for me, but, sometimes these blog entries are woefully self-indulgent. Of course, the more personal my entries become, the more uninteresting they likely are to my twelve loyal readers. This one may be one of those times, sorry about that. I write these blogs, and I create the songs I write because the process is a sort of exorcism for me. Once the words are purged, I am better. To follow are some random observations about the past week.  

Last night, early this morning actually, before I left the hospital, I posted a photo on Facebook of my commute to or from the hospital, I can’t remember which. The photo was taken while I was stuck in traffic in Chinatown. I spend a lot of time in the once familiar congestion of this big city. It has now been over a week that my routine has involved going to and from the hospital. Most nights I stay with Shauna from around 8PM until 2AM, then I drive back across town up to North York. I get back to E.T.’s house, walk Jasper, and then I crash. Anyone who goes through one of these marathon hospital visits knows that it can chip away at you. Thankfully, the neurology ward is much more peaceful and quiet than the stroke ward was a few years back at Sunnybrook. It is a kind of water torture emotional drip, and the silent cacophony of illness hangs in the air. Especially at night. In the background, on television sets, with the sound muted, there is the omnipresent reportage of the latest terrorist attacks. Spain, Charlottesville, Alt Right boneheads; bad news makes good news. I am reminded of that scene in the movie “As Good As It Gets” when Jack Nicholson’s character is at his therapist’s office (I believe) and he asks the existential question which is the title of the movie. Still, I haven’t lost faith in humanity.

I have written a lot in the last week about being thankful, and I genuinely am. There is nothing like an extended hospital wake-up call to re-adjust one’s priorities. No matter what Shauna’s prognosis – and the uncertainty is very hard – I know our lives have been blessed so far and I think (hope) we’ve still got a lot more good times to come. This is simply the exhaustion talking. This past weekend was strange, because I spent a lot of time driving around downtown Toronto, in neighborhoods where some of my musician friends would likely be performing. The drive home is especially surreal. As I roll slowly through Friday and Saturday night crowds of (mostly young) people, recently kicked out of bars after last call, stumbling around in the streets, smoking cigarettes, smoking weed, drunk, loud, carrying on, I feel so detached from their celebration. Hotshots race around in $300,000 Italian sports cars, a drunken girl is rocking back and forth on her heels, texting someone (who is probably ten yards away from her), visibly disheveled from her night of excess. Little scenarios that remind me of me. I was one of those careless young barflies, a long time ago. It seems like a very long time ago. In some weird way, I cherish these existential moments of sobriety. I’m not finished celebrating, I just do it differently these days. There is a profound and indescribable clarity to my fatigue. As I weave in and out of the erratic (and probably inebriated) drivers, I am in my own world. The Tragically Hip plays the soundtrack to my trip home, and in the traffic and the red lights reflecting off the glistening blacktop, I feel an odd peace. I have accepted my lack of control. Shauna is going to be OK; that is what I tell myself.

Of late, I’ve been in a dry spell with my songwriting, but I always keep a voice recorder in my car. This past week, the muse has visited me more than a few times. I think of all the beautiful songs I’ve heard recently, songs like “Red Lights In The Rain” by Stephen Fearing. Apprehension about loss is one of my many inspirations to write songs. As I said, writing is my therapy.


  - Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: