Monday, July 24, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report 7/24/17


I don’t think I remember a summer like this since 1992, the year I first met Shauna. That summer the weather in the northeast was atrocious, probably due in part to the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. My friend Bob created a mnemonic phrase to remember that summer:  “ ‘92, the summer that blew”. Whatever the cause, that entire summer was characterized by cool fall weather, and very little sun. I’m not sure what’s going on this summer, but it certainly has been characterized by significant rainfall. I gauge the rainfall by the number of times thus far this summer that I’ve had to rescue my little Porta-Bote from sinking at the dock. My bailing bucket is a full-sized pail, and it seems that at least once a week, I am emptying five to seven pails full of water out of the boat. Indeed, today is another one of those days, and as I look down to the dock, the top of the transom of that little boat is gradually sinking to the waterline. Rain that comes this hard and fast washes out our driveway, drowns my garden, and it causes problems I never expected.

When we built this house, we thought we were over-compensating with our drainage plan. In fact, ours was one of the first construction projects on this lake which required a full site plan, and we had to jump through hoops of fire to satisfy the town that our drainage was sufficient. We have two retention ponds on our property and even put in an extra tile bed off one side of the house (which was not required) to catch rain off the roof. Still, we have had flooding on our property and eventually installed a sump pump at the lowest point in our basement to divert water down to the lake. We have not had any flooding since we installed that pump, so I think (hope) we have adjusted to the increasingly frequent deluges.  

While we complain about the significant rainfall here in Ontario, a lack of water is the problem elsewhere, and wildfires rage out in the West. British Columbia seems to have been particularly hard hit, and the arid weather and high winds are making it hard to control the over 200 fires now burning. Last night, I heard on the news that Banff, Alberta, our home away from home, has now been affected by fires. After that horrible wildfire in Slave Lake and later Ft. McMurray Alberta, it seems clear that the same conditions that are making it wetter here are making it drier in the West. I remember driving out West years ago and encountering a wildfire on the Trans Canada Highway. It was frightening to see it up close. Once, out in Banff, we saw a controlled burn near the town center go out of control, lighting up the side of a nearby mountain. Banff, which sits in the Bow Valley, filled up with acrid smoke for a day or two, making it hard to breath. Again, it was scary to be that close to the flames. Many years ago, as we were heading out to a hike in Kootenay Park, near the Alberta - B.C. border, we could see the smoke from a raging wildfire rising over the mountains to our west. It’s a fact of life out west.  

Clearly, the planet is warming up, and we are reminded of this fact every time we see the image of a polar bear stranded on a block of floating ice, or a giant block of ice the size of a city breaking off one of the poles, or a devastating storm that wipes out an entire community. We see evidence of warming trends at both poles, and Al Gore in all his hubris implores us to change our ozone-depleting ways. I am no denier of climate change, but I question the economic feasibility of some of Gore’s directives. I am reminded of a book my nephew, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service, had me read. Entitled “Cool It”, and written by economist Bjorn Lomborg, the main theme seems to be that we cannot significantly change the trends of Mother Nature. The horse has left the barn and he didn’t look before he leapt. While it would be wise to switch to renewable sources of energy, especially solar, now that the prices are coming down, the hundreds of billions we spend to control cyclical weather trends will I think be better spent adapting to that which we cannot control.

But that will never happen. Shoreline development will continue unabated, populations will continue to explode, more and more vacant land will be paved, developing nations will continue to disregard the directives of the Paris Agreement, and the world will continue to warm up, whether we choose to drive a Prius or a Hummer. Maybe we buy ourselves a few more decades of survival by throwing hundreds of billions at the problem, but I’m beginning to understand that I can’t change Mother Nature. I am reminded of this every day that I live in the country. I can’t stop the rain, but I can try to adapt to it. I can pump down our water table so that my property doesn’t flood. I am a little concerned about the next freak snowstorm. 


     - Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: