Monday, June 12, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report - 6/12/17

My best friend Bob piloting the Porta-Bote on Lake Erie
Yesterday, I melted my sandals. Yes, I melted my sandals. I didn’t mean to, and I was very upset to have done so. Those sandals and I have traveled the country over the years. It was just one of those days.

Did you ever have one of those days, when you could swear some little gremlin was behind the curtain screwing with you? Yesterday was like that for me. I’d set something down, and when I looked away, it simply disappeared. I’d drop something and it would fall into the one place where it was unrecoverable. There were at least ten or fifteen annoying little things that happened in a short time which suggested to me that I was out of sync with the universe. Upon reflection, it’s funny, but I wasn’t laughing at the time.

Yesterday, the weather was fantastic, and after doing all the bungled projects I needed to do, each which took twice as long as it should have, I decided to reward myself with the first lap of the season around the lake in my Porta-Bote (my little folding dinghy). Yes, I’d spent most of the day breaking things, looking for things that went missing under my nose, cleaning up things I’d spilled, etc., but now it was time for some good old-fashioned fun in the sun. There are few things I enjoy more than putting around in a boat, any boat.

I pulled the little outboard out of storage, mounted it on the boat, and put the gas can in the boat. I had to go up to the house for a minute, and when I came back, I stepped into the boat before I realized that there was liquid in the bilge. I thought it strange that water had suddenly leaked into the boat. As it washed over my feet, I realized that it wasn’t water but gasoline, about a half a gallon of it. Somehow, the gas can that I had placed in the boat, which had held gas without leaking for the last three weeks, emptied into the bilge making a big mess. I decanted most of the spilled fuel into another gas can, and mopped up the bilge with a rag, grudgingly accepting that this was just one of those Murphy’s Law kind of days. What did not occur to me was that the rubber (or plastic) soles of my sandals might decompose in gasoline. As I got back on the dock and looked down on the dinghy, I could see multiple black footprints on the floor of the boat, made out of melted plastic from the bottom of my beloved sandals. For some inexplicable reason, that became the tipping point. I wish someone had been there to film me losing it on that dock, jumping up and down screaming FUCK! FUCK!! FUCK!!! FUCK!!!! FUUUUUUCK! That would have been Facebook gold for sure.

Sometimes karma’s a bitch, and every so often, life throws me a little curve ball to remind me of my place in the cosmic food chain. Maybe it was that raccoon I hit with my car in 2003, or the time I tried to steal that box of crayons when I was five, or the morbid fascination I have with the natural disasters that befall other people, or the fact that I stopped giving to certain charities, or that I sometimes over-stuff garbage bags that I take to the dump. Hell, I don’t know, maybe it was the accumulation of thousands of other little crimes against humanity of which I am guilty. Sometimes life throws a day like yesterday at me to remind me not to take my good fortune for granted. I lose my perspective from time to time. Lesson learned; thank you. There, I have purged my dysfunction (for a few days).

Shauna never liked those sandals anyway.


Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: