Monday, June 05, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report - 6-5-17

Kareen on left and James in the middle 

It’s been a strange week. I’m fighting that old beast depression, and this past week it grabbed me by the neck like a pit bull. There’s a lady who passed away last week in Huntsville, and although I did not know her well, we’d spent a little time together while James Carroll was undergoing his chemo treatments. Kareen Burns hosted a show at Hunters Bay Radio called K On The Bay and, I believe, she was the longest running show host on HBR. Her interviews were always insightful and interesting. I spent a little time with her on the several occasions when she’d come to visit James at the hospital, and I know she was a good friend and a great comfort to him. A two-time cancer survivor herself, Kareen helped James cope with his anxiety and fear. I can’t say I bonded with her, because most of our contact was when she came to see James. Having faced death more than once, she was well-equipped to help James on his journey.  I felt her strength and determination.

Last Friday afternoon, HBR aired a pre-recorded MyTunes show featuring Kareen. This is a show wherein the featured guest plays and hour of his or her favorite tunes. Kareen pre-recorded this show three weeks ago, and she called her show Kareen’s Death Music. In the show, wherein host Jacob Kriger interviewed her between songs, Kareen discussed, with baffling philosophical detachment, her mortality, and her ongoing 15+ year battle with cancer. At the time of the recording she had not officially learned that her cancer had returned, but I think she knew. The songs she picked were beautiful, and I was moved by her hopeful outlook on life. It was about the time of that MyTunes recording that I learned she was not well. Within three weeks she was gone. Hearing her guest host that show was haunting. One of my many regrets is not getting to know her better.

When James passed away, his death really hit me hard. I’d never experienced grief like that, and it was a sucker punch. I was with him when he received the diagnosis, and I was around him for much of the last months of his life, and although I did not know him for long, we were close at the end. I felt profoundly sad when he died. James was a month younger than I, he was a creative; he was a drinker, and a smoker. I suppose that I was subconsciously thinking, there but for a roll of the dice go I. Were it not for some alignment of the stars, some cosmic arm that pulled the switch and diverted me to a safer track, I suspect things could have gone very differently for me.  

Saturday, I spent some of the day building flower boxes for our garden shed. Flowers are everywhere on our property, because they remind me of my mom. As I put together these boxes, sitting on the front porch, feeding the mosquitoes and feeling strangely ashamed and ungrateful for the blessings I have known, I couldn’t stop thinking about these two relative strangers. I thought of all the others who have touched my life and are now gone. As James ran out of time, there was a chaotic effort on his part to bring order to the end of his life. I got caught in that chaos, and in the no man’s land of another soul’s confrontation with his or her imminent death. Hearing Kareen on the radio last Friday, brought that all back. I look around at my beautiful, disorganized life, which surrounds me like the cloud of dust that surrounds Pigpen in the Charlie Brown comic, and I start asking questions that have no answers. I did not know Kareen well, nor did I know James all that well for that matter, but we became close near his end. The one thing I sensed from all I’ve heard about Kareen, was that she gave more than she received, and that she was driven to help others. I hope I’m worthy of being remembered that way when I go. I’ve learned a great deal from the heroes and strangers who have touched my life. What to make of their loss is something with which I will struggle as long as I live.


 -Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: