Monday, May 08, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report 5/8/17

Recognize the guy in the middle?
Every Thursday night, from 6-7 p.m., Hunters Bay Radio broadcasts a live performance on-air and online. Whenever possible, and because my show airs afterwards on the same night, I try to attend these performances. When I first joined the radio station, my friend, the late James Carroll hosted the show. It was in his capacity as host of Live Drive that I came to know and love James, because he was such an enthusiastic and generous supporter of local musicians. After James passed away, Ara Aycan took over as host for around a year, and the current host is a guy from Bracebridge named Joe Thompson, or “Silver Lake Joe” as he likes to be called. Silver Lake Joe has been doing a great job, and the word is getting out in the Canadian music community that HBR is a very musician-friendly station. Last week, Live Drive featured an artist named Darrin Davis, who drove all the way up from Orillia to perform. He has a distinctive voice, he played some good original songs, and I really enjoyed his performance. Best of all, he was affable, humble, and appreciative.

Dealing with musicians can be a hassle. Some are unreliable, others simply lack any business sense whatsoever. We ask our performers for bios to post on Facebook before the show, and often they do not comply, or do so only at the last minute. Some simply don’t get it; we are promoting them. Having attended well over forty of these live shows over the past two years, I’ve seen all kinds of artists, and sometimes the egos trump the talent. Most of the vets who have been doing this for a long time are relatively humble. On the road, playing a few hundred lonely bar gigs to rooms full of inattentive drunks, they’ve grown some perspective on their place in the musical food chain. While radio is not generally a paying gig, it is exposure to a larger, attentive audience. Serious songwriters and musicians value that exposure. Some don’t, and I’m somewhat amused to watch a neophyte performer with a bloated ego. I’m ready for my close-up Mr. Demille.

Back when I regularly played open mics, it seemed as if the people with the least amount of talent were always the ones who were the highest maintenance. If you’re doing a fifteen-minute set at an open mic, wherein a dozen other performers are waiting to play, get on and get off. Don’t give the sound man a hard time, don’t spend twenty minutes setting up, and leave your attitude at the door. Some musicians don’t give Hunters Bay Radio the support I feel the station deserves, because it’s a pro bono gig. Everyone thinks his or her performance is worthy of attention (and compensation), and that they deserve to be heard. In reality, there are always other artists out there who are more talented, and are not full of themselves. I remember one arrogant, semi-local (and painfully bad) songwriter who performed at Live Drive last year. When I asked him for his mailing address, he reluctantly gave it to me, but said that he usually doesn’t, because he is so inundated with adoring fans. I had to stifle a guffaw. A legend in his own mind.

To perform in public is a privilege. Well-paying gigs are becoming fewer and further between, and the field is becoming more competitive. Most experienced musicians recognize the value of free radio exposure, and a lot of the serious ones are proactive about seeking the recognition they may deserve. A lot of people dream of success in the music business, but after 35 years writing songs, I believe it takes a lot more than raw talent. I’ve seen unbelievable, vastly under-recognized songwriters perform at Hunters Bay Radio, and they are typically humble, cooperative men and women. It takes talent, diplomacy, and a little luck to get a break. A little perspective will go a long way to help those who seek recognition to achieve their goals.

-Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice job Jamie. James was with me for my first live drive, and I was blown away by how well he treated me and Cathy. I was so worried about everything and he calmed me down with a chat about it being "just" radio and nobody could see me. He was also the first and one of the only people who called me an artist. Something I will never feel about myself, but it shows just how kind he was to people. Anyhow, again, nice job on the report !