Sunday, May 14, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report 5/14/17

Mom with Joanne
As I sit down to begin this week’s installment, I almost forgot it’s Mother’s Day. Alas, I am one of a growing number of orphans. My mom passed in 2011 and Dad preceded her by two years. I miss them both a lot, but I do not mourn their loss. The last years of their lives were difficult, as I suspect they are with most elders, but I’m getting to the point where I only remember the good times. They both lived long and interesting lives, and I am thankful to have had them for as long as I did. They were both wonderful parents, and with their patient, intelligent guidance I somehow managed to avoid any jail time, to date. I was hardly the perfect child, and I’m sure I gave my mother fits.

Last Friday night, Sarah Coombs, the host of the afternoon show at Hunters Bay Radio, called her mom live on air and asked her to recount three of Sarah’s more memorable childhood screw-ups. The stories were amusing. I have a few of those stories as well. When I was only four or five years old, my mom took me with her to run some errands, which included a trip to Wards Pharmacy near our house in Buffalo. While she was talking to the pharmacist, I grabbed a box of crayons and attempted to smuggle them out of the store. Unpracticed as I was in the fine art of thievery, I chose a giant box of crayons, and was not particularly effective at concealing them. Of course, Mom immediately caught me, and she made me admit my transgression to the pharmacist. She told me he’d probably call the police and have me thrown in jail if I did not beg for mercy, and agree to eat broccoli and spinach without protest for the rest of my life. Needless to say, this was one of many important lessons my mom taught me. I suspect many of my readers out there have or had great moms. It’s a tough and sometimes thankless job.

I’ve written a few songs that deal peripherally with my parents, and they might seem in some ways unsympathetic. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. I usually infuse some fiction in my songs to keep my distance, and to make the songs more universal. In the aforementioned songs I explore the complicated relationships we have with our parents, as the real human beings they are. The song dealing with my mom is called “Laughing” and I still have not finished it, three or four years after beginning it. It’s about a photo taken of Mom, a year or so after my thirteen-year-old sister had been hit and killed by a truck while crossing the street in Buffalo. In the photo, Mom was on a horse riding out West. She was smiling, but it was the Mona Lisa smile of a woman with had many secrets. “Wherein lies the truth behind the flash of a camera smile…” I could not know the pain she felt, I was three years old at the time, but I believe everything that happens to our parents eventually trickles down to us. Tragedy could have destroyed my mom, but it didn't.

I don’t know what it is to be a parent. We never had children, but more and more I'm growing to respect the ones who get it right. Even with the best of intentions, parents occasionally do emotional harm to their kids. Sometimes it’s a chain of abuse that is hard to break, and I’m always impressed when a parent does not transfer his or her struggles onto the children. No matter what happened to my mother in her life, and she had her share of tribulation, she never showed anything but love and respect for her children. Increasingly, I see how remarkable that is. As the world gets more complicated, it is perhaps harder and harder for mothers to protect their children from turmoil. Some do a better job than others. Today, I offer my posthumous “I love you Mom!” and I mean it with all my heart. To pay it forward, I hope to pass on some of the love and respect she showed to me. To all of you good mothers out there, bless you for all you do.


-Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: