Monday, February 27, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report 2/27/17

Years ago, my friend Buck Marshall came over to the house with a bunch of cds. His aim was to convert me into a country music fan. I laughed and told him I was not a lover of country music, but he was resolved to change my mind. I realize now how myopic I must have sounded, because I’d grown up listening to all sorts of country rock – bands like The Outlaws, The Marshall Tucker Band, and The New Riders of The Purple Sage. Buck exposed me to some really great country music, including artists like Chris Stapleton, The Infamous Stringdusters, Doc Watson, Bella Fleck, J.D. Crowe and the New South, Willie P. Bennett, and a few dozen other great artists. I listened to all the albums he gave me, and learned a lot. The collection included bluegrass, traditional country, country rock, Texas swing, rockabilly, and yes, even some country rock. One of the CDs he lent me was  by Blackie And The Rodeo Kings, a band who took their name from the seminal Willie P.Bennett album of the same name. I fell in love with their music.

Last Saturday night, Shauna and I headed down to Toronto to attend the kickoff show for the Blackie And The Rodeo Kings “This Band Kills Hatred” tour. We do not attend many non-local concerts, but both of us agreed this one was well worth the drive down to Toronto. Since I began broadcasting my little show, I have grown to respect the song writing skills of Colin Linden, Stephen Fearing, and Tom Wilson, the three founding members of the band. To see them perform together was a special treat for me. The show opened with Thompson Wilson, Tom Wilson’s son, performing some of his own original songs. Throughout the night Thompson joined his father onstage, and it was inspiring to see father and son united in song. As well, various other guest artists came up and sang original songs, including Charles Esten and Sam Palladio, two of the stars of the hit TV series Nashville. Because of his exceptional skills as a guitarist, Colin Linden has been involved with that show from its inception. Samantha Martin, an amazing vocalist based in Toronto, was also on the bill, and all three of these guests were fantastic. In fact, one for the things I like and respect about Blackie And The Rodeo Kings is their connection to and support of other talented artists. That’s how it should be. By the end of the show there had been at least three standing ovations. One got the sense that these musicians were one big family, and the joy and energy with which they presented their music was palpable.

I know I sound like a broken record when I talk about the power of music; I consider it to be the great unifier. In what many consider to be a dark moment in the history of mankind, music is one universal link. Good music touches everyone, and it reminds me of the things I have in common with my fellow man. It also reminds me of my place in the grand scheme of things. I used to think I was a pretty good song writer, but I have been rightly humbled as the field opens up to me. From the time we first settled up here in 2008 I have met and learned from some great musicians. I have grown to respect people with whom I had little else in common. Buck Marshall was at one time a skilled bluegrass musician, and the one who directed me to my first Burk’s Falls Third Friday Coffee House. He taught me to appreciate the writing in country music and he continues to be a valuable mentor, pointing me in the direction of good music. In the two years or more that I have been involved with the radio station, individuals and bands have come to my attention that are exceptional, albeit in many cases unknown. Life is full of lessons, if only I open my ears and listen.


         -  Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: