Monday, October 03, 2016

The Oppenheimer Report 10/3/16


Graphic Art by Shauna Leigh Taylor
A few months ago, I bought a new car, something I have been putting off for a year or two. I don’t enjoy what some consider the blood sport of negotiating to buy a new car. The old car had served me well, and was a fiftieth birthday present from my now deceased parents. For the sake of nostalgia, I would have kept it for a lot longer, but expensive things were starting to go wrong with it, and common sense dictated that I trade it in. The air conditioner failed, and this alone was going to be $3000 repair. I knew other expensive repairs were on the horizon, and since the car had been trouble free for ten years, I reasoned that it was time to quit while I was ahead.

 
The new car is very similar to the old one; it is the same size, it has a similar motor, but it is a little less fancy. I like the car, but there are a few things that bother me about it. In the ten years since I was in the market for an automobile, there have been a lot of electronic bells and whistles added. For instance, there is a lane departure warning feature, which makes the car vibrate when I change lanes without using my signal. That is annoying and I quickly disabled this feature. Sometimes it re-engages on its own, which is likely some kind of computer glitch. Then there are the automatic door locks. To unlock this keyless ignition car, one needs only grasp the door handle of one of the front doors to unlock it, but on the driver’s side, no matter what I do, this does not unlock the driver’s side passenger door. As well, the unlock feature does not always work properly, and I generally do not like touch sensor technology. The radio is a touch screen, which I find ridiculous. Give me manual knobs any day! If one inserts a CD in the player, it works until the car is turned off. When the car is re-started, one needs to eject and re-insert the CD in order for it to play. With every other car stereo I have ever owned, if I turn the car off while a CD is playing, when I start the car again, the CD starts playing again where it left off. In fact, the sound system on this car, while operable from the steering wheel, is complicated and user-unfriendly. Operating a cell phone while driving is illegal, and we are not supposed to be distracted when we drive, but simply operating this radio is a huge distraction! Same goes for the GPS. I have never liked touch screen technology, because sometimes it just doesn’t work. Touch screens can be affected by temperature change. Have you ever tapped the screen on your phone multiple times before your command registers? It happens to me all the time. Maybe I am legally dead. There is a backup camera, which is useful, if it is free of dirt. The camera is mounted in the rear bumper and road grime easily renders it unreadable. It all boils down to this: I didn’t see it coming but I’ve turned into the old fart who can’t use the remote. I know I’ve ranted about this many times before, but at some point, all these labor saving “improvements” become anything but. I don’t need or want all the bells and whistles. Give me a car, with a good, easy-to-use stereo, and keep all the electronic bullshit for someone else. I think back fondly to my 1967 Triumph Spitfire  (which I bought for $400) and its primitive design. Yes, the car was a British Leyland piece of crap, and the lights fluttered every time I went over a bump in the road, but it usually ran OK, it had great sound effects, I could tune it with a pen knife, and I could start it with a screwdriver if I lost the key. With driverless technology becoming a not-too-distant reality, all control will be left to computerized electronic parts. The more electronic stuff we pack into our vehicles, the more stuff that can go wrong, leaving us stranded in the middle of nowhere. I don’t think my pen knife is going to do me any good when the auto pilot malfunctions on the highway at 65MPH.
 

Last Wednesday, I released my first CD of original songs “Imposters Game” live on the Hunters Bay Radio show Talent On The Bay. I thank all the local folks who showed up at the studio to attend the interview and who offered me moral support. My interviewer was morning show host and good friend Grant Nickalls, and he put this very nervous interviewee at ease. Also interviewed was my producer, Juan Barbosa. I’ve been on the radio a lot in the past two years, and I don’t generally get too nervous about playing live, but this interview was different. For the first time ever in 35 years I am releasing my songs for public scrutiny. I think the interview went well, and as I said in previous reports, I feel good because I have finally presented some of my songs to the public. While I doubt my contribution will make much of an impact on the ever-expanding world of music.,I am proud to have done this, and now friends and family will be able to hear properly recorded examples of the songs I write.   - Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2016 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: