Monday, October 17, 2016

The Oppenheimer Report - 10/17/16


Back in 2011, when my father was nearing the end of his life in Buffalo, my family considered enlisting the services of hospice for him, but the hospice facility in Buffalo was quite a distance from our home. Instead, we elected to care for Dad at home during his final months, with around-the-clock nurses. Fortunately, several nurses on our team had hospice training, and these nurses are worth their weight in gold. For those unfamiliar with the organization, the hospice directive is to allow the terminally ill patient to pass on with as much comfort and tranquility as possible. No extreme measures are made to keep the patient alive, and all focus is on pain management and a peaceful transition. Hospice allows families to spend their last days with their loved one, in a peaceful, quiet environment, free of the cacophony and indignity that so often accompanies a hospital or health care facility. It is an invaluable service, but you only realize this when you need it. I have spent a lot of time in hospitals over the past six or seven years, and the experience has changed me. The most noticeable change is that I have grown much more sensitive to the challenges that healthy caregivers face, be they friends or family. No matter who lobbies for your health care, and especially wherein terminal illness is concerned, the experience is life changing. My dad passed on peacefully in the comfort of his own home, of old age, and surrounded by love and excellent health care. So did my mom, albeit with the obvious complications that come with Lewy Body dementia. I am thankful my sister and I made the decisions we did to allow Mom and Dad to live out their lives in their own home. Still, there were many difficult decisions that came up, and it was helpful to have some professional guidance. My father-in-law was essentially in a coma for the last several months of his life, in a hospital in Toronto, and our health care decisions on his behalf were complicated and heart-rending. His last days were spent in the Veterans wing of Sunnybrook Hospital, which was somewhat akin to the hospice experience. I was so very relieved that his last days were not spent in the stroke ward of Sunnybrook Hospital.  If you’ve ever spent one day there, let alone three months, as we did, and you will know what I mean.

During the short period of time that our friend James Carroll was residing at the Huntsville Hospice, I had an opportunity to see how beneficial this organization is. The facility is beautiful and everyone working there is professional and helpful. At a difficult time, the environment was calm and peaceful. Shortly after James passed on last spring, I stopped by the facility to drop off some unused medical supplies from James’ apartment, thinking perhaps hospice could use them. When I walked up to the front door, I noticed my friend and fellow singer songwriter Jamie Clarke, sitting outside with some other people. I learned that his father was gravely ill and residing in the facility. Shortly after his dad passed away, Jamie posted a message that he was organizing a benefit concert for hospice. In the message he reminded us that this facility was reliant on private funding and required the support of the community. I’m certain Jamie think felt grateful for the services hospice had provided to him and his family, and he wanted to pay it forward.

Last Saturday night, we attended that benefit concert at the Algonquin Theatre in Huntsville. It was a great show played to a full house. The first act was Julian Taylor with a bandmate from the Julian Taylor Band, performing an acoustic set. In the “long story” department, Julian’s sister is named after my wife Shauna Leigh. I’m a fan of this award-winning songwriter, and had a few minutes during intermission to chat with him. Next up was Jamie with his band Myrle, featuring his multi-talented producer, and well known Canadian singer songwriter Ron Hawkins. I’ve become a huge fan of Ron Hawkins’ songwriting over the past several years, and he did a great job producing Jamie’s last album “A Dozen Hearts”. What Jamie did Saturday night was a big deal. Many musicians these days are struggling to make a name for themselves, in an ever more competitive market. Jamie and his bandmates put together a great show, pro bono, and raised over $20,000 was raised for Huntsville Hospice. As I have said so many times before, we live in a great community, full of talented and generous musicians.




   - Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2016 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: