Monday, August 29, 2016

The Oppenheimer Report 8/29/16




Last Thursday afternoon, my lovely wife Shauna accompanied me to Hunters Bay Radio to watch the live on-air performance of Noah Zacharin, a Montreal singer / songwriter whom we have both come to admire. After that “Live Drive” show, Shauna did her social media posting for my show in the station, while I did my radio show. It was fun to have her there with me, and it’s the first time she has actually seen me do my show. To follow is the Facebook review I posted about Noah Zacharin’s  performance …


Have you ever seen a musician perform live for the first time, expecting that musician or songwriter to be good, only to be floored when you finally saw the performance? The first time I heard Noah Zacharin’s recorded music was on fellow singer songwriter Douglas Eldon Mclean’s Monday night blues and folk show, which airs Monday nights on Hunters Bay Radio. I was impressed enough to download one of Noah’s album’s - Big Daddy Z – and I quickly realized that this man is a formidable songwriter. When I met him in person last Thursday at the Hunters Bay Radio station, for his “Live Drive” performance, my first impression was that he was a soft-spoken, introspective man. When he began to perform, his wry wit, humour, and intelligence began to trickle out, and then he simply sucker punched both Shauna and me with his talent. The reticent man was anything but when he began to perform, and both Shauna and I were die-hard fans by the end of the set. Noah’s skill as a guitarist, and his extremely thoughtful, beautifully crafted lyrics, left me slack-jawed by the time his 45 minute performance was over. There are good pickers everywhere in my ever expanding musical universe, and I’m learning that there are a lot (too many in fact) of talented, under-recognized songwriters as well. Noah is decidedly both. Last night at Hunters Bay Radio, Shauna and I looked at each other right after Noah’s set, incredulous at what we had heard. We went home and reviewed the entire performance on the Periscope video Hunters Bay Radio puts up after these shows. I realized how much I’d failed to absorb during the live performance, because there’s just so much going on with this guy. If you are unfamiliar with his work, do yourself a favor and consult YouTube for a performance or two to get up to speed. Two of my favorite songs in the Thursday night show were “Can’t Wake Up” and “Ten Tons Of Road” but all the songs he played were noteworthy. In the past year or so, as my education into the art of song writing has taken an end run around the masters I have always admired, I have been exposed to artists such as Jon Brooks, Rita Chiarelli, Rob Lutes, Jason Isbell, Ryan Bingham, Gene Maclellan, Steve Goodman, Dave Gunning, Mose Allison, Scott Nolan, Chuck Brodsky, Rick Fines, Suzie Vinnick, and John Stewart, to name but a few. It has become glaringly apparent to me how much I do not know about the exceptional songwriters, past and present, floating around in the music universe. Until I began to air my radio show, and began to research songs I like, I was in the dark. It is because of our local community radio station, Hunters Bay Radio, and other like-minded alternative radio stations, forums that go against the swelling tide of soul-less, auto-tuned pop, that I have grown some perspective on how much good music there is out there. Now I can add Noah Zacharin to my ever-expanding list of gifted songwriters. Thank you Noah for that delightful performance last Thursday night; what a pleasure it was to finally meet you! And thanks to Hunters Bay Radio, and all the other community and college stations out there that continue to present these wonderful artists. Noah, I look forward to seeing you perform again, surrounded by a large and receptive audience at a festival or concert hall. I am becoming harder and harder to impress these days, but last Thursday night, you did that, in spades.

 
I write these reports, and I write songs, and I do my little radio show about song writing, in hopes that I will grow, improve, and learn. I become a better songwriter by watching, reading, and listening to the writers I admire. There is so much wonderful literature, poetry, music, and fine art out there to be appreciated, but I think much of it is eclipsed by that which is deemed sellable, or “mainstream”. Certainly, all art is subject to the tastes of the individual, but in my opinion, the cream is not always rising to the top. My goal is to become a better songwriter, and to perhaps bring some much deserved attention to those artists whom I admire. But enough about me, what do YOU think of me?  
 

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2016 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: