Monday, May 30, 2016

The Oppenheimer Report 5/29/16

Today, Shauna and I celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary. No big deal, just a quiet dinner at home with the one I love the most in the world. In the blink of an eye, a year has passed since I wrote the song “21” to commemorate our 21st , a song which our friend Bobby Cameron so beautifully put to music. Most of the cottagers who inhabit our lake in the summer were scared off by the weatherman this weekend, and our little lake was blissfully quiet. What a lovely anniversary gift! A night  in our beautiful log home, alone with my wife, on the silent lake, is about as good as it gets in my book. There is a lone loon calling out on the lake; this year it appears to have no mate.

This time,  twenty-two years ago, Shauna and I were getting ready for our big wedding at the Royal York Hotel, preparing to recite our vows in front of 250+ friends and family from all over the world. We’d been without sleep for days, making the final preparations, but it was all worth it. Shauna and her parents created the most beautiful wedding that I have ever attended, and everything they had planned and arranged for over a year, every detail of that spectacular event, came off without a hitch. The only problem was that it all went by in a flash. Through all the excitement, I was on auto pilot, and much of the night was a hazy memory to me. The image I do have branded indelibly in my memory, is the soft lens image of Shauna in white, looking otherworldly as she walked slowly up the aisle to meet me under the chuppah. I spoke my vows, she spoke hers, and I, the unobservant Jew, spoke a few words of Hebrew that I had struggled to memorize. The ceremony seemed to go by quickly, and then it was time to celebrate. The reception was wonderful. Toronto’s Guido Basso and his big band rocked the house in the Royal York Imperial Room, and inspired even the most dance-challenged out onto the floor. The food was fantastic, everybody danced, drank, and celebrated, and it was the most memorable event that I can hardly remember. I have to watch the video to see what transpired. All the people I knew and greeted, or to whom I was introduced for the first time, are a blur to me now. So many emotions overtook me at the time, fueled by exhilaration and exhaustion, but inside, I felt an uncharacteristic peace. I knew this was right for me, for us. I remember sitting in the Calgary airport the next day, waiting for our luggage, which of course was lost, before we headed off to Banff. I felt a little like I imagine the couple felt at the end of “The Graduate”, driving away on that bus. We were completely uncertain about what the future would hold, but we were hopeful and optimistic.  
                                                                   
In this blog, I’ve written many times about learning to be present, to live in the moment, yet I struggle with this daily. Of late, I have been extremely anxious and distracted. Contentment can be elusive, even when, to outsiders looking in, our life is perfect. My grief over James’ passing took me by surprise, and has really shaken me. His loss has been an unfolding epiphany. Perhaps it is short-lived – it always seems to take me longer than most to learn life’s lessons – but as our life unravels in its usual, chaotic way, and time scatters like leaves in an autumn wind storm, I am learning to accept and feel the pain. Only then can I know and feel joy. It’s the yin and the yang of life, and there is no playbook for this. It sure helps to have a partner with whom I can share the journey. James was many things to many people, and a saint to some. I knew James as a fabulous, complicated, and flawed man. Being around him as much as I was near his end, I saw his imperfections and his vulnerability. It was those very things that endeared him to me. He had so much to offer with his crazy, beautiful mind, and he gave and received so much love. Perhaps he needed to know that someone recognized that about him at the end. Perhaps Shauna and I were what he needed at the time; simple acceptance with no judgment. His marriages failed, but I think he found salvation in the love for and from his little girl. She was, in many ways, his universe.  

I spent the first thirty years of my life anesthetizing myself in various ways, with delusion, with false dreams, with denial; with alcohol. Eventually, we all come face to face with ourselves, whether we want to or not. Not everyone falls in love with the person in the mirror. It is through the people we let into our lives, whom we choose to trust with all our dirty little secrets, our insecurities, our flawed hearts, that we grow to love ourselves and others. These past 22 years have been such a blessing for Shauna and me, and I cannot imagine spending those years with any better partner. She has taught me to love myself, almost as much as she loves me, and for that, I am grateful beyond words.

Final note: one should never play Scrabble without a dictionary, as Shauna and I did on our honeymoon. 

I won that game dear, “digtion” is NOT a word. 

-Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2016 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: