Monday, September 21, 2015

The Oppenheimer Report - 9/21/15


My late sister Joanne in front of the original beach house
There’s no doubt about it, change can be a bitch, and as life’s drama unfolds, I am confronted with it at every turn. Relationships form, relationships are shattered, friends and family move, people have kids, people get sick; people die. For me, the past ten years have been particularly unsettling in this regard, as I have shared the universal experience of dealing with the end stages of my parents’ lives. While I feel fortunate to have had wonderful parents, who both lived well into their nineties, there is no denying that the last years were difficult. The problem I had, and which most people probably have, was what to keep, what to sell, and what to give away.

After Mom and Dad were both gone, we had an estate sale, then sold the family house in Buffalo shortly thereafter. As well, there was a beach house, a summer home on the lake, across the border in Fort Erie, and I kept telling myself that I could not sell that house as long as my mom was still alive. The house had been in her family since she was a little girl, and that would have been devastating to her. In truth, it was I who could not bear to part with the house, and I suppose I equated the physical structure with so many happy memories. When the economy turned south in 2008, the issue became moot because there were then no buyers. The next four or five years were a string of hassles with summer rentals, upkeep, taxes, and deferred maintenance and repairs. This property, which had represented so many wonderful memories for four generations of the Lehman and Oppenheimer families, was now becoming  a bothersome expense.  With a heavy heart, I finally sold the property last fall. I made one last sweep for mementoes, then locked the door for the last time.

After the deal closed, I naturally assumed the new owners would tear down the existing structures and start from scratch. The house was in obvious need of extensive repair, and I envisioned some compound springing up with no soul or warmth, inhabited by jerks who could never enjoy the place the way my family had. That was not the case. Earlier in the summer, I was delighted to receive some photos from a friend who had photographed the house as it was being slowly renovated. The new owners opted to keep the bones of the old house and rebuild. This, coupled with later reports that they were a family with young children, who seemed to be enjoying the house as much as my family had, made me very happy.  Hey, they even have a boat.

Last weekend, while down in Ft. Erie to visit my best friend, we took a boat ride down the bay and I had the opportunity to meet the new owners. They were gracious enough to give me a tour of the improved house. What they have done to the old house is nothing short of spectacular and I was beyond delighted to see that, in so many ways, the original edifice, albeit contemporized, is still there. In fact, from the beach, it still looks very much like the old house.
 
I realize I can’t stop the march of time, although I have lately felt profoundly out of step with it. I have let go of so many things that I foolishly deluded myself would be around forever. But I am getting better at this. Seeing that family beach house in good hands, I felt just a little bit more in sync. While I am learning that I have little or no control over how the events in my life unfold, I can find my peace with that notion that some changes are for the best.

-Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2015  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

1 comment: