Monday, September 14, 2015

The Oppenheimer Report - 9/14/15


I am writing this report on the Eve of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, and I wish all my Jewish friends peace and prosperity for the upcoming year. I feel extremely fortunate for my general wellbeing, but inexplicably anxious at the same time. Perhaps it is the stubborn intestinal flu that Shauna and I are fighting right now, which has sapped me of my energy and my perspective. Perhaps it’s the wane of summer, or the never-ending doomsday reporting on the 11 O’clock News. Maybe it’s all the coverage of the two North American election campaigns, which seem to lack anything resembling leadership or courage, but whatever it is, I find myself at a low ebb this Rosh Hashanah.
Question: Can you name a good Jewish wine? Answer: "I ache all over!"
 
Last Thursday marked the 28th week of my radio show Lyrical Workers, and it’s hard for me to believe I have now been doing this show for over a half a year. Like this weekly report, the radio show is an attempt to maintain the discipline of a consistent weekly dialogue, on the written page, and now with the presentation of songs that have so far influenced me. When I am scrambling to come up with a set list of 36 good songs, I try to remember that my real incentive was and is to grow as a song writer. And I’ve learned a lot. In the past several months, and in preparation for the show, I have learned about and enjoyed the music of gifted Canadian songwriters Garnet Rogers, Rob Lutes, Katherine Wheatley, Jon Brooks, Fred Eaglesmith, Stompin’ Tom Connors, and so many others. This exposure to previously unexplored talent, and my interaction with so many local songwriters, has been rewarding and educational. I feel the need to remind myself of this from time to time, when I turn on that mic and have no idea if anyone else is listening.

 
I’ve wrestled with this now for over 30 years. Is anybody reading; is anybody listening? I am sure this is on the minds of many amateur writers.  A few years ago, Shauna signed me up something called “Stat Counter,” which is a free internet-based tracker, to see how many hits my blog gets. I try not to care, but I do pay attention. Since I began to post online in 2006 I have had about 30,500 “page visits,” I got quite excited to see that, on average, 200 readers visit the site on a weekly basis. Nevertheless, of those 200 visitors, perhaps a small fraction actually read the blog. One needs to look at the time spent on the page to determine if people are actually taking the time to read what I have written. There is certainly a lot of competition for a reader’s attention, and in this age of abbreviated communication, where Twitter is king, I suppose it is delusion to expect anyone but friends and family might take the time to read this report. It is narcissism that drives me to care, and I am quite aware of that. I remember having this discussion with an old and respected high school English professor, and he suggested that simply trying to call attention to what I have created does not in and of itself constitute narcissism. Especially where my songs are concerned, I do want people to listen.  Anyhow, I sign off on a cold and rainy Sunday night, self-absorbed insecure, and anxious as ever. Happy New Year, and I promise to be cheerier for Yom Kippur!
 

Time just seems to swirl up like the leaves in a blow

So much spinning out of my control

And I want to solve the problems of this oh so troubled world

But I can’t even seem to solve my own

 

The changes they are coming, this I surely know

And I need to find a way to ease this troubled soul

As outside, the wind begins to blow…

     

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: