Monday, July 06, 2015

The Oppenheimer Report 7/6/15

My '57 Chris Craft Sea Skiff :  "Ahoy Vey"
A belated Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian friends and a Happy Fourth of July to all my friends stateside. As an ex-patriot, I actually forgot that Saturday was the Fourth of July, until I caught part of the Macy’s Fourth of July Special in NYC on television Saturday night. There was a spectacular fireworks display, shot off four or five barges in the Hudson River, accompanied by the NY Philharmonic Orchestra, playing patriotic American favorites. I love fireworks displays and I am fortunate that I was able to see such a well-choreographed show. Once, while Shauna and I were attending the Canada Day fireworks celebration in the Town of Banff, the guy in charge of lighting off the fireworks inadvertently fired off the grand finale first, thereby rendering the rest of the show somewhat anti-climactic. Done correctly, fireworks displays are truly an art form.
 

When I was younger, the Fourth of July was a big deal for me. All up and down the North Shore of Lake Erie, near our summer cottage, one could see the fireworks displays and bonfires. Back in the wild west days of my youth, someone in my band of delinquents would inevitably get a hold of some serious construction grade explosives, and we would have fun waking up the neighbors. Alcohol was very likely involved; it’s a wonder we are all still alive and relatively intact. When I think about my ill-spent youth, this applies to a lot of different scenarios wherein danger was a key component. These days, the most dangerous thing I do is to occasionally drive the moose-lined highways of Northern, Ontario at night. In my early years, we used to watch the big fireworks display at nearby Crystal Beach Amusement Park and sometimes, we’d take a boat or car into Buffalo to watch the shows there. One year was particularly memorable and it involved a fireworks presentation in the Buffalo harbor, hosted by the makers of Whisk laundry detergent. I and some of my friends piled into my 1957 Chris Craft Sea Skiff utility and motored into Buffalo to catch the much-touted fireworks show. It was a dark, choppy ride in from the Canadian shore and when we arrived in Buffalo, we dropped anchor near a break wall, careful not to moor within the channel of the Buffalo ship canal. As show time approached – I believe there was music on shore as well – more and more scofflaw boaters began to moor within the channel (clearly marked with lighted buoys), and obviously some of them were imbibing heavily. There was a lot of hooting and drunken laughter and some of the drunken attendees were firing off hand-held Roman Candles, aiming them at other boaters. Gasoline and fire; brilliant. At one point, one of those bozos inadvertently took aim at the police boat, which was fighting a losing battle to keep the channel clear for its intended purpose. Two notable things happened that night. First, a large sailboat under power rammed into one of the stern corners of my boat. As soon as it hit us, they turned off their running lights, as if that was somehow going to make them invisible. I could hear a kid onboard saying “I told you not to let Mommy drive!” Fiberglass is no match for Philippine mahogany, and the sailboat lost that fight. Not so much as a scratch on my boat; big hole in the bow of the sailboat. The next boating disaster involved the afore-mentioned scofflaws, many who were giving the outgunned police boat fits. All at once, the mighty Miss Buffalo came motoring through the canal, on a collision course with all the fools who had moored improperly in her path. She rammed a few as they scrambled unsuccessfully to get out of the way, and she picked up the mooring lines of many more who were not able to pull up and move away in time. Picture this 150’+  craft barreling through at 5-10 knots, dragging behind it five or ten small craft frantically trying to cut their mooring lines, as they banged and smashed into each other in the churning wake. All the responsible, sober boaters gave out a collective cheer and applauded. Karma is a bitch. Things have tightened up a bit since the 80’s, but back then, there were a lot amateurs out on the high seas.
    

On my show last Thursday night ,I made note of a documentary we watched on CNN entitled I’ll Be Me which covered singer/song writer Glen Campbell’s recent and final concert tour. Campbell, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease a while back, had made the brave decision, along with his wife and kids, to shine a bright light on his decline, and I thought the documentary was remarkably good. Never before a huge fan of Campbell’s music, I did respect his ability to write hit songs, and I am a much bigger fan of his music having seen this documentary. Some might say this was an inappropriate and unseemly airing of a person’s private struggle, but as a family member who has first-hand experienced the remarkable challenges dementia throws at all the family members, I applaud the Campbells for playing out their experience in the public eye. As is the case with so many other kinds of mental illness, silence is our worst enemy. This documentary humanized the struggles of this very public celebrity, and I am sure it did a great service to all the people who are trying deal with this disease personally, not to mention all the researchers who are laboring to find a treatment or a cure.


Again, I hope you all had a wonderful Canada Day and/or Fourth of July, and that you all still have your fingers and toes intact.
 

-Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED-

No comments: