Monday, July 20, 2015

The Oppenheimer Report 7/20/15

The other day, singer songwriter Neil Young created some controversy in the music world by announcing that he was pulling all his music off sources that stream music via the internet. No longer will one be able to download a Neil Young song; you will instead have to purchase a CD or “rip” it from a friend. Young claims that the sound quality is too badly compromised in streamed music (typically MP3 and M4a formats), and he thinks he does a disservice to his fans to charge for his music in such a degraded form. Better, I suppose to deny them access altogether.

 
I really only embraced the Great Satan of streamed music, and specifically ITunes, about ten years ago, when my friend Bob bought me my first IPod. As is the case with most new technology, I am usually about ten or fifteen years behind the rest of the world in embracing these innovations. I very much like my IPod Touch; I quickly transferred a lot of my CDs to my IPod, and I use it constantly. Whereas the sound is somewhat degraded, the convenience of having so much of my music library available at my fingertips makes this IPod a winner for me.
 

The debate continues among audiophiles about whether or not the degradation of sound is too great a price to pay for the convenience, and many people prefer to store and listen to their music in the .WAV file format of compact discs. Certainly the sound quality of those larger .WAV files is noticeably better. Vinyl is making a comeback as well, because many audiophiles prefer the sound of analog tracks and eschew digital technology. I’m not sure where I stand on the digital vs. analog debate. In the past, I had most of my music library on cassette tapes because I did a lot of my listening in the car. Of course, everyone knows that recording music to a cassette tape degrades the sound as well, but again, there was the convenience factor. The truth is, I lost my ability to discriminate between good and bad sound sometime after my concert-filled youth, when I neglected to put cotton in my ears during some of the louder concerts. Once the high end is gone, it doesn’t come back, and my ears are still ringing from a Boston concert I remember attending in the early Eighties. I may not be the best person to ask about sound quality, although I was very concerned about it in my early listening career. For me, the convenience of digital files is still the most important thing. Lately I’ve been getting a bit annoyed with ITunes because there are always memory sucking-software updates and more and more files that cannot be converted from the Apple digital format to MP3. As well, there are privacy concerns and sometimes I feel ITunes is taking over my computer. Someday soon, I might choose another streaming source. Still, it is hard to compete with the convenience of shopping for music online. OK, I admit it, I’m lazy.  

 
I understand Neil Young’s point about sound quality, although, as my wife Shauna points out, it’s not as if this is the London Symphony Orchestra complaining. This is “Nasal” Neil Young, and his music is, well, not all that complicated. Most of the time, when I listen to music now, it is either in my car or through some compact wireless speaker, and not on the sophisticated audiophile quality stereo system I used to own. Once again, the convenience of having so many songs at my fingertips, and also being able to take a compact digital player along with a wireless speaker with me almost anywhere I travel, makes this technology appealing to me. A year or so ago, I read Neil’s most recent book Waging a Heavy Peace, and in it he discusses at great length his efforts to develop better digital files to more truly replicate the original recordings. I don’t know whether or not he has been successful in this venture, but the timing of his latest announcement has me wondering. Does Neil have a better mouse trap? Bring it on rock star, I’m all ears. I’m not worried about his absence from the internet. I have the albums I like in vinyl or CD, and they are already converted on my IPod. As well, I am learning about a lot of other good songwriters, specifically because their music is available online. Maybe the sound could be better, but for this aging music lover, it's OK.

 
-Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED-

No comments: