Monday, June 16, 2014

The Oppenheimer Report 6/16/14

From the collection of  D. Jordan Taylor
Perhaps this sobriety thing is paying off, because I have finally been motivated to do something I promised myself a long time ago I would do. Although I’ve been writing songs and making rough demos of songs now for well over 30 years, I have never really had the motivation or courage to record a proper album of songs. Life got in the way, and I always had an excuse to put it off before. As well, when one puts one’s art out there and it is rejected, it can be devastating. It is a challenge to believe in myself when so many people in the industry told me I was no good. I chased other artists to cover my songs, and that didn’t work. I submitted my songs to publishing companies, and that was actually destructive. While I expected and welcomed constructive criticism, some of the rejection letters I received were just plain stupid. I very much doubt many of the recipients even listened to the obligatory 30 seconds required to pass judgment, before tossing my tape in the circular file. I submitted my favorite songs to song contests, hoping that one of the featured celebrity judges might hear one of them and see some merit in my ability as a songwriter. This was not only expensive, but also demoralizing. I’d wait expectantly for some indication that someone in the industry had even heard one of my songs, only to be informed in some form letter that my songs were not being considered. No feedback, no proof anyone even listened to them, just “No.” Then, I’d listen to the songs that won the contest and I’d feel as if I’d been cheated. Some of those songs were simply horrible in my opinion. Like so many others, I finally gave up trying to interest anyone in my work, after trying for over a decade. But I never stopped writing songs.

 
Now, thirty years later, I am retired from my “day job”, and the music business is much different. With digital technology and the internet, it is less expensive to reach an audience than it used to be, and artists are no longer prisoners to a myopic and ageist music industry. Also, I am now in a unique environment that fosters and encourages creativity. As of two weeks ago, I have laid down bed tracks for 7 songs and with my gifted producer Juan Barbosa, we have so far completed three finished songs. I love what Juan has done with my songs, and I feel so fortunate to have found a guy who is at once so talented, and who believes in my songs enough to get them right. I know my limits as a performer, but I feel the songs are strong, and I am proud of what Juan has done with them. It is remarkable what can be done to a song by a good musician and producer. I am now almost a third of the way to accomplishing what I set out to do, and I will never again let another’s judgment quash my ambition or creativity. When the album is done, I will put it out there for anyone who cares to listen (even if it is just the twelve of you), and if it falls flat, I’m OK with that. I gave it my best shot, and I can’t disappoint myself if I give it my all. I am so happy to have been embraced with such open arms by this talented and generous Muskoka music community. Regardless of what others may determine, I have spilled some of my blood into these sound recordings, and for the first time in my life, I feel as if I have achieved one of my main goals in life. And I am proud of that. Thank you Juan, from the bottom of my heart, for getting this right. I hope to have a completed album of songs by September/ October. My next goal is to "go plywood" in Burk's Falls. Wish me luck.

Speaking of the music business, the legendary Top 40 DJ Casey Kasem has died at 82. May he rest in peace; sounds like his last few years were a little rocky. I used to enjoy his show.  

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2014 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Keep up the great work!! And never give up...
I look forward to purchasing your cd Jamie...