Monday, April 07, 2014

The Oppenheimer Report 4/7/14

Last Friday night, as part of Shauna’s ongoing mission to make our upcoming 20th Anniversary a series of memorable celebrations, we drove down to Toronto to see the legendary blues guitarist Buddy Guy play at Massey Hall. I can now happily cross him off my bucket list of performers to see before I go. Recently I finished reading Guy’s memoirs When I Left Home, which is all about his experiences in Chicago playing with other blues legends like Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, and Junior Wells. I found his performance to be all the more meaningful, because I knew a little about his history, and about his experiences at Chess Records. At 78, Guy still kicks ass and takes no prisoners, and I left that concert in awe of his ability to entertain. What Shauna and I did not realized when she purchased the tickets was that Guy would be touring with another one of our guitar heroes, Jonny Lang. What a treat it was to hear the two of them making their guitars wail!  I think that might be one of the top ten concerts I have ever attended. Over twenty years ago Shauna and I met because of our love of music, and since then, we have attended a lot of concerts together. Although her tastes are extremely varied, Shauna is a lover of the blues, and so am I. Seated behind me and to my left was the one and only Randy Bachman of The Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive. Very cool.

Because we live in a rural area, and because I am a lazy sloth-like couch potato who can’t be bothered to shop in a regular store, I have taken to ordering a lot of stuff online. In the past two months I have ordered everything from dehydrated refried beans, to an audio cassette player that converts my cassettes into digital music files. In truth, this consumer is becoming consumed, and the intoxication that comes from buying online is beginning to get the better of me. I may be developing a problem. For some items, unavailable locally, online buying is the convenient solution. I have learned that, if it is a large purchase, it is a good idea to personally inspect the item somewhere before ordering it online. I ordered a top-rated sound bar to improve the audio quality of our TV, but it would not work (something about wireless connectivity), and I had to send the whole thing back. I’d never had to return something that large through the mail – it was in two parts and weighed about 40 pounds - and the lady at our local post office gave me a really dirty look. Still, returning it by mail was lot easier than schlepping it back to a store, which in my case would have been 500 kilometers away. Glad I kept the box, which I often foolishly destroy while unpacking. The other day I ordered some SD cards (digital storage cards for my camera and 8 track digital recorder) from an online computer store, and I will probably never do that again. Returning from the physiotherapist in Huntsville the other day, I got a call (hands free of course, because we all know it is illegal to hold a cell phone while driving) from Purolator delivery to inform me that my SD cards were undeliverable. Purlolator does not have “a station” in Katrine. Well who does?! I thought those guys deliver everywhere. I was mistaken. Apparently they will only deliver locally if there is enough demand in the area, and that does not happen in Katrine, in the middle of winter (which apparently April is around here ), when the snow and ice are 6’ high. For my $8 delivery charge (it was still a better deal than buying locally) I had to travel 12 kilometres to pick up the package. I was particularly amused to see that four SD cards, with a combined size of approximately 4 square inches, were packed in a box large enough to hold a box of Kleenex. A small padded envelope would have sufficed and would have fit in my P.O box in Katrine! Oy.

Did you ever notice that those stickers they put on produce are sometimes impossible to remove? You know, the ones which tell you in tiny letters that the product is actually from Mexico, even though the sign on the bin indicates it was grown in Ontario. I destroyed a tomato the other day trying to unpeel one of these things. It’s a bit like the twist off beer bottle cap that will not twist because some stoner at the bottling plant decided to glue it on as a practical joke. My wife and mother-in-law are convinced that produce grown in Mexico will make them sick. Ironically, they don’t seem to have a problem with Peru and Costa Rica, and the twenty other countries wherein the water is perhaps not as clean as it should be.

OK, I win the Darwin Award of the week. We use a homemade concoction to repel squirrels which involves boiling habanero peppers in water and then using the mixture to make a pepper spray. The other day I crushed up some of the peppers to boil – they are very hot peppers – and then I went to the washroom to have a pee. Need I say more? I thought I had a urinary tract infection for about a half hour! We used to buy stuff called “Critter Buster” in a spray bottle but they charge an arm and a leg for what I can easily make in my kitchen. Fun fact: pepper spray is an effective deterrent for all sorts of pests. Advice? Wash your hands after handling hot peppers; I speak from personal experience!

                               -  Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2014 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: