Monday, April 21, 2014

THe Oppenheimer Report 4/21/14


A friend's Great Dane just had pups
The other night I was on my laptop, working out some lyrics for a new song, and as I sometimes do, I brought it upstairs with me to work on before I went to sleep. When I had finished for the night, I turned it off and put it on the floor next to my bed; there was no room on my end table. That was my big mistake. In the middle of the night, as I got up out of bed to answer one of Nature’s ever more frequent calls, I stepped on the laptop. It did not think this was a big problem until later that day, when I tried to turn the laptop on, and the screen looked like bad modern art. Of course I then had a mild freak out, wondering if the whole computer was toast. I am sure many of you have had that nauseating feeling before, suddenly realizing all of the information on your computer might be lost, and wondering if you had all of it backed up (knowing you probably didn’t).

I hooked the laptop up to our television set with an HDMI cable, and sure enough, the computer still worked. Hallelujah! But the screen was a goner. I can get a replacement screen for this laptop (from Dell), but it will take some time to acquire, and with installation, it won’t be cheap.  I have it hooked up to one of our small televisions, and that will suffice for now. You’re never too old to do really stupid things! The experience has reminded me how much I have come to rely on this computer, and I immediately did a current back up of my information so as to be protected should the hard drive fail. I rail on computers all the time, but I am a whiney hypocrite, because I am every bit as much a prisoner to its allures as the next misinformation junkie. That laptop is my filing cabinet for over 3000 photographs, and every song lyric, every letter, every Oppenheimer Report I have written since 1992, email correspondences, invoices, recorded demo songs, legal documents, etc. And I never thought I’d get sucked into the Face Book death star, but I’m there every day (and it’s amazing how many other people are as well). I’m watching my distant nieces and nephews grow up day by day, and with the click of a mouse I can catch up with a high school class mate whom I have not seen or heard from in forty years. Gone are the days when I took the time to compose a well-thought out letter. Now I can fire off some abbreviated and un-retractable “witticism” on the internet, which I later deem to be off the meter on the poor taste scale. Which brings me to my next deep thought: are we not living in a house of cards when so much of our information is “out there” to be stolen and used against us by strangers?
 
I heard on the news the other night that authorities have caught and arrested the hacker responsible for unleashing that much-publicized Heart Bleed virus which so compromised Canada’s online banking and tax filing system. It turns out the culprit was nineteen years old, I believe from the Great Toronto area, and the only reason he got caught is because he was foolish enough not to disguise his distinguishing IP address. His father is a computer guy in the business of data mining, and I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. He must be so proud of his son. This virus had a ripple effect on online banking, online retail, etc. and it means that hundreds of thousands of social insurance numbers, Canada’s equivalent to the U.S social security number, might have been revealed to nefarious third parties. It all reminds me of that prescient movie War Games, wherein a teenager computer whiz almost unleashes WWIII. The specter of identity theft looms ever higher with each one of these cyber breaches and it is a wake-up call to all of us who use computers. Wireless technology, and the omnipresence of the internet in almost every form of commerce, leave us vulnerable to cyber terrorism. Some of us think that if we don’t do our banking or shopping online, we are safe from cyber crime, but if you have a bank account, or a credit card, or a telephone, or any number of other utilities, the horse is probably out of the barn already, and he didn’t look before he leaped. I continue to delude myself that the powers that be have taken proper security precautions to ensure that nothing bad happens, but clearly this latest heartworm thing proves I have my head in the sand. If some enterprising teen can breach allegedly impenetrable security, how many other serious cyber threats are out there in the wings? Our governments for instance.

Final notes … the death toll is now 60 and climbing as rescuers attempt to recover over two hundred missing passengers, most of them high school kids, from that horrific ferry accident off the southwest coast f S. Korea. Looks as if the captain and the crew are largely responsible for the magnitude of the tragedy, and once again I ask, “who’s driving that thing anyway?” Violence continues to spread cross the Ukraine, and The Toronto Raptors managed to do what the Leafs failed to do: make the playoffs. A belated Happy Easter to all my gentile friends, and to all my fellow members of the tribe, Happy Passover. Thankfully Passover is over on Tuesday. Matzo plugs me up big time.

 

       Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2014 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: