Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Oppenheimer Report 6/27/13

Sorry folks, this one will be brief. No pearls of wisdom this week. I have been down in Toronto for the past week, and just returned yesterday. My father-in-law had another stroke and was admitted to the hospital. If ever there was a question about whether my parents-in-law needed the assistance of caregivers, all doubts have now been removed. Now we move on to the next and more complicated phase of their life at home. There is nothing like an extended visit to the hospital to reinforce my thankfulness for my good health. I might even cut down on cheeseburgers.

Certainly one of my greatest concerns this week, aside from my father-in-law, is for all my friends in Alberta who are just now recovering from a devastating flooding in that province. Friends in Canmore and Exshaw had to be evacuated and the flooding took out a chunk of the Trans Canada highway near Canmore. That highway is really the only way in and out of the mountains, and I am sure that detour severely impacted the flow of goods and services to the people who most desperately need them. The destruction in High River and Calgary has been unbelievable and I was shocked to hear that the water level rose to something like the tenth row of the Calgary Saddle Dome. Our friend Jim, who does road work in the Canmore area, just called to say that just today they have re-opened one lane of the Trans Canada. Jim’s house in Exshaw was flooded and there is presently seven feet of water in his basement. As well, he told me that there is a foot or two of heavy silt everywhere around his property. Water can be pumped out but the heavy silt is a little harder to remove. What a mess! Years ago, when Shauna and I were still going out to Banff every summer, we stored our cookware and other household items in Jim’s basement. I presume it’s all still there, floating around along with all the other ruined stuff. I called him today and jokingly asked if we could have our stuff sent back to us. With friends like me, who needs enemies.   

Hopefully, I will be able to provide a more carefully written report next week.

 

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2013 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: