Monday, November 22, 2010

The Oppenheimer Report 11/22/10

I must be “retahhdid” as some of my friends in Boston would say, because I have a tendency to photograph exotic cars I see while I’m driving around in Toronto. It’s one thing to see these cars in an auto show or in a showroom, but it’s quite another to see and hear them driving around. The other day, on my way back up north, I spotted a rare Porsche Carrera GT on Avenue Road and grabbed my digital camera, which I leave locked and loaded on the passenger seat. I was drooling, and actually followed the guy for several blocks, just to watch this work of art in motion. I always wonder how someone could drive a car like that around the city; how do you ever get it out of first gear? There’s a lot of talk about prohibiting cell phone usage in cars, and of course we’re not supposed to text while we’re driving, but hey officer, nobody said anything to me about taking photographs! Then again, nobody told me not to read the newspaper while driving, but I guess that’s not a good idea either. Once, driving a friend to work in an L.A. traffic jam, I noticed the guy next to me doing just that; reading the L.A. Times in his moving vehicle.


Prince William and “commoner” Kate Middleton have announced their plans to wed, and all I can say is, it’s about time we got some fresh blood in that family. Too much inbreeding and pretty soon we’re going to start getting royals with the gray matter of that Appalachian banjo player in “Deliverence.” I’ve always thought Charles was a bit of an oaf. I will never understand how he ever could have dumped Lady Di for that troll Camilla ParkYerBowels . Of course, I have been glued to the TV set for any updates on the wedding ever since I heard the news . Ever the “Dysfunction Detective” I stand ready and waiting to report any cracks in the engagement bliss. Will they go for the cozy seclusion of Westminster Abbey or will they choose something larger, like the backyard of Buckingham Palace? Will they find true love or crash and burn in front of the entire world as did Chuck and Di? Certainly all eyes are now on these young lovers and the pressure will be enormous. What a joy it must be to be a royal! Fun fact: 750 Million viewers watched Chuck and Di marry back in 1981. I wasn’t one of them. Perhaps Elton John will rewrite another one of his songs for Will and Kate. I am frothing in anticipation.

What else happened last week ... Pat Burns, NHL legend and former coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, died after a long battle with cancer. Two teams that Burns once coached, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadians, played each other last Saturday night, and in keeping with their tendency to suck, the Leafs lost yet again. Despite having shown a hint of promise earlier in the season, they are once again in or near last place. On a happier note, the Buffalo Bills won yet another game … that’s two so far this season.

Wednesday, we head down to Buffalo for (American) Thanksgiving in Buffalo. Sadly, this might be the last one celebrated  in my Buffalo home of fifty years. I look forward to meeting a new addition to the family; my youngest nephew and his wife just had a baby boy. Once again, Thanksgiving dinner at the Oppenheimer’s will span four generations, and that alone is something for which to be thankful.


Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2010 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: