Friday, August 29, 2008

The Oppenheimer Report 8/29/08


Once again, I am in Olympics withdrawal mode. We watched part of the closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics on Sunday, and it was almost as spectacular as the opening ceremonies. Them Chinese sure know how to put on a good show. I loved the fireworks. Clearly, they have no problem recruiting volunteers; there were over 500,000 (mandatory) volunteers involved in this international event. I watched quite a lot of the Olympics competitions this year, including many of swimming and running events. I even caught some of the controversial gymnastics competition wherein scoring was suspect. In one case, a tie-breaker was ultimately decided in favor of the host country, and there was quite a lot of discussion about the impartiality of that decision. The judges were not Chinese, but these days, I wonder if political influences had anything to do with the scoring. I am reminded of the figure skating scandal in the recent winter Olympics. I watched several events I’d never seen before. I’ve never before seen a mountain bike event, nor had I ever watched synchronized diving. Armchair quarterback that I am, I found myself judging the divers as they performed. This one made too big a splash … that one’s legs were too far apart …those two were out of sync. That’s part of the fun of the Olympics for me, deciding who should get what score.

At present, we are embroiled in a controversial land issue regarding a road allowance which abuts our land in Katrine. When we traded our next door neighbor some of our water frontage in return for some of his back land, we became eligible to purchase a portion of unopened road allowance owned (I believe) by Armour Township. The rule is that we can apply to purchase half the width of the road allowance, in other words 33 feet, which abuts our land. We applied to acquire the entire 66 feet, reasoning that the owner on the other side would have no use for this land. As so often happens in land issues – and I saw this quite a bit in my 25 years of real estate experience – neighbors get strange when something might change near their property. We have no need for the land we are applying to acquire, other than that it provides a buffer against public access. Somehow, one of the neighbors – the one with whom we didn’t trade land -- who has been particularly difficult and combative wherein our construction project is concerned, has riled up the other neighbors, and is protesting our application. Angry letters have been sent to the town indicating to me that the authors have no idea what is being contemplated. There has been so much misinformation disseminated about this proposed land purchase that I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that everyone thinks we’re contemplating the construction of a massage parlor. I’m not sure the Dali Lama could bring about a peaceful solution to this mess, but I have spent much of the past two weeks in damage control mode. I have met with nervous neighbors and written a long, carefully worded explanation of exactly what we hope to achieve, clearly pointing that no construction is contemplated, and that none of our proposed acquisition really changes anything influencing anyone’s property but our own. Of course, carefully writing something and insuring that it is carefully read are two very different things. In any event, I hope that the truth will prevail in the end and, if town politics (read fear of litigation) quashes this acquisition, then so be it. And speaking of disinformation…

I watched Barack Obama’s big ”I’m the Man” speech at the Democratic Convention tonight, which coincided with the 45th anniversary of the Martin Luther King “I Have a Dream” speech. Obama’s an impressive orator, and that is a refreshing change over Dubya’s pathetic inability to string words together. Nevertheless, talk is cheap, and it seems no politicians ever deliver the goods. I am reminded of Papa Bush’s infamous “read my lips” comments so many years ago. Secretly, I hope Obama wins, because I want to believe that the disenfranchised middle class will once again become invested in the American political system. My worry is that, just as Bush proved to be too far to the right, Obama will prove to be equally far to the left. Was it Socrates who said “nothing in excess”? The Republicans will try and portray Obama as weak on international matters, and the Democrats will, of course, point out McCain’s similarities to the failed Bush administration. In the end, come November, it will boil down to the same beauty contest it has always been. As I’ve said before, if the Dems can’t win this one then, just as the Toronto Maple Leafs are now doing, it may be time to “rebuild from the ground up”.

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2008 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: