Monday, March 16, 2020

The Oppenheimer Report 3/16/20


As a 64-year-old baby boomer, I have never lived through a crisis such as the one we are now experiencing. That said, I do recall the panic during the Cuban Missile Crisis back in the 60s. As a little boy, I vaguely remember participating in a classroom drill wherein we were all instructed to hide underneath our desks when a fire alarm sounded. Having seen video of a nuclear explosion, I wasn’t exactly sure how hiding underneath a 1” thick fiberglass desk, supported by flimsy aluminum tube legs was going to do me much good, but I did what the adults told me to do. Many of my friends’ parents had bomb shelters in their basements. I don’t remember any of them having toilets.

The thing that caught me by surprise when this Corona Virus epidemic made the headlines was the immediacy of the panic. I suppose I’ve been complacent, or so distracted by the constant reminder of all that is wrong with mankind. I suppose the conditions were “dry” enough so that just one match was all it took. It seems as if the uncertainty created by this latest epidemic, exacerbated by bad leadership, a record stock market crash, the way information (and misinformation) is disseminated instantly these days, and the fear that there could be a lot of unknown carriers inadvertently causing “community spread” of the virus, has made many of us anxious, fearful, and in some cases downright unhinged. What is abundantly clear, and becomes more so as I grow older, is the fact that, for the most part, we human beings are not anywhere near as in control of our destinies as we would like to imagine. We never have been. Yes, we are experiencing an existential threat from climate change, and greenhouse gases are absolutely making things worse. Mankind has, by the way, had a history of ignoring the laws of nature. My nephew who works for NOAA, and is the designated meteorologist in our family, suggests that global warming is cyclical and irreversible. Regardless of our propensity to hasten it, it will happen. What is most distressing is our inability to be universally proactive about it. Disease is also nothing new. The Bubonic Plague, The Spanish Flu, Polio, Smallpox, and most recently AIDS and The Ebola Virus, have collectively wiped out millions of people around the world.

I find it interesting that, after all the bad news about the tendency of history to repeat itself – and make no mistake, there has been nothing but bad news since this new decade began – we find ourselves threatened by something that is not of our own making. This virus is, for the time being, something for which we were unprepared. Perhaps in some way we screwed up, perhaps it was unsanitary conditions in that Wuhan live market that unleased it. Perhaps it is climate change that facilitates these opportunistic viruses, I have no idea. Maybe the most intelligent scientists in the world don’t know. I guarantee you Wolf Blitzer doesn’t. Given the interconnected nature of all events, it is likely at least in part our fault. What I do know is that for most of my life I have lived in opposition to nature. Only recently have I begun to recognize the consequences of my ignorance about the science of ecology. I am more respectful of that science now that I once was.

I have experienced the worst mankind has to offer, it’s drummed into my head every day. I have also observed us at our heroic best. World War II heroes sacrificed their lives to stop Hitler’s evil madness, Louis Pasteur paved the way for the development of prophylactic vaccines, Alexander Fleming invented penicillin, an antibiotic that probably saved billions of lives over the next 90 years. An East Indian man is walking around on the streets of Toronto handing out hand sanitizer to strangers. Firemen and first responders routinely risk their lives for people who take their heroism for granted. History is full of heroic individuals who swim upstream against the white waters of “human nature” to prove that we are better than our worst instincts. In Toronto, researchers have isolated the COVID-19 virus, the first step in discovering a treatment and eventually a vaccine. I am hopeful that in some convoluted way, this latest crisis will break the cycle of universal divisiveness, something which is of our own making. Stop blaming your incompetent leaders (whom we elected) and incubate real ones. Show your children how to love, fight ignorance; find and listen to the intelligent, reasonable people among us who may be our best hope for survival. This virus won’t kill us all, but fear, ignorance, and hysteria eventually will. I’ve made plenty of ignorant mistakes in my life, but if, heaven forbid, I should die tomorrow, I want to be remembered as the guy who was responsible for more good than harm. I don’t want to go down is history as the scammer who advertised a cure for COVID-19, or that greedy bonehead who sold a roll of toilet paper for $10. Listen to your health care experts and don’t panic. Epidemics like this affect everyone, from all walks of life. It is natural to be concerned, maybe even scared, but maybe from this crisis heroes will emerge. I could use a little good news about human nature! Stay safe out there, wash your hands, try not to touch your face, and remember, patience, human kindness and generosity are the only antidotes to the ignorant nonsense we see and hear all around us.

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer  ©2020  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: