Monday, February 17, 2020

The Oppenheimer Report 2/10/20

Po Cholly and his band 2/15/20
About 23 years ago, Shauna and I were out in Banff for one of our summer hiking tours and we went to the Chateau Lake Louise for dinner after one of our long hikes. We got into a discussion with one of the interesting young waiters there about music, and after dinner we joined him and one of his female companions at their room in the staff accommodations to have a beer and to continue the discussion. We had a great time and talked late into the night. Shortly before we were about to leave, Shauna noticed a guitar leaning beside the door. Our new friends asked us if either of us played and, ever my supporter and promoter, Shauna mentioned that I write songs. They then implored me to play one of my original songs for them before we left. Reluctantly I agreed, and l played them one of my oldest songs, “Deeper I Go Into Blue”. It might have been because they were tipsy on beer, but they both raved about how much they liked that song. They really were encouraging, and I was genuinely surprised. From day one of our relationship Shauna has been constantly supportive and encouraging of my songwriting, but in the ten or so years since I’d written that song, and after performing  that song at least 50 times in public, and after submitting it and having had it rejected by 30 or 40 publishers and record companies, I don’t recall ever getting a compliment about it. This was the first time I’d ever felt as if I had reached someone emotionally with one of my songs. That has always been my aspiration.
Jump ahead to last Saturday night, when I opened for Po Cholly Robertson and his band at the Huntsville Legion. It was one of a series of Hunters Bay Radio-sponsored free concerts which Jeff Carter and the station have presented throughout the year, and we have had some excellent performers. Regrettably, we do not always get big crowds for these gigs, and on a bitter cold February night, I was quite sure this concert might be poorly attended. As I mentioned earlier, Shauna is my biggest promoter and supporter, and she went to great pains to ensure that anybody and everybody in our local community was apprised of that concert. Between her efforts and those of the radio station, they drew in a full house, and I was delighted (and nervous) to be playing in front of such a large and receptive audience.  What was particularly meaningful to me was the number of people who came up to Shauna and me before the concert to tell us how much they appreciated hearing my songs on the radio, and how much they enjoyed my radio show. As well they complimented ET’s MARTINI MUSIC show, and told us how much they appreciated what Shauna does for the station, and how much they love listening to Hunters Bay Radio. I think I can speak for Jeff Carter and all the volunteers, who selflessly offer their time and expertise to this little community radio station, by saying that this means the world to us.  
I cannot speak for my own performance, but I thoroughly enjoyed hearing Po Cholly and his bandmates play. Those musicians included his wife Beverlie Robertson, the Juno-Award-winning Julian Fauth on keyboards, Ken Yoshioka on harmonica and electric guitar, and Michael Lopez Philips on bass and acoustic guitar. It was one of those “perfect storm” evenings wherein all the stars align, the entertainers were bang on, and everyone in the room could feel the positive energy. It’s about good karma, it’s about the collective appreciation of good music, and it is why Shauna and I and so many dozens of other like-minded local volunteers devote their valuable time and energy to the station. There is the palpable sense that we provide a service to our community, that we give back, and I for one feel good about that.
I wrote down a line about 25 years ago which I thought might make a good chorus. It reads: “Sometimes you’ve got to change your dreams, before your dreams change you.”   Long ago, I envisioned myself as the guy writing that hit song which would make me rich and famous. Now I have different dream. These days I get more satisfaction out of turning new listeners on to a great under-recognized talent, or airing some aspiring young local musician just starting out on their journey. Rejection and empty rooms are the hazards of creating, and there are plenty of times when it feels like no one is listening. Still, you never know whom your art might positively affect. Because of the opportunities I and many other local musicians have been afforded by Hunters Bay Radio, I have realized my dream. I cannot express my gratitude for all the support from the station and from the local community of listeners and fellow musicians. I no longer write my songs in a void; those songs are now out there and being heard. As a songwriter, there is no greater joy for me than to have someone say to me: “I liked that song about the wolves “… or “can you play that Dublin song for me!”  That’s what Hunters Bay Radio has done for me.

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer ©2020
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: