Monday, January 20, 2020

The Oppenheimer Report 1/20/20

The other day, I noticed that one of my songwriter friends, and in my opinion, one of Canada’s better musician/songwriters, Noah Zacharin, was attending the 11th annual 30A Songwriters Festival held in South Walton County, Florida. I’d never heard of this festival before, but it is yet another reminder of how little I do know about the vast community of songwriters out there. This festival is a huge, three-day event, with headliners like Brian Wilson, John Prine, Tonya Tucker, and Don McLean, as well as hundreds of other performers playing at a myriad of local venues. For years it’s always been my dream to attend one of these big songwriter festivals, and to take in the live performances by some of the best songwriters in the world.  
Coincidentally, yesterday I learned that David Olney, a Nashville songwriter whom I began to follow and admire several years ago, passed away suddenly during his performance at one of the venues in that 30A Songwriters festival. Dave was in the middle of a songwriter’s round with 2 other writers, he stopped singing during his 3rd song, apologized to his audience, then closed his eyes and quietly died of an apparent heart attack. Amy Rigby, who was one of the other writers onstage with him when he passed, said his end was very peaceful. From most accounts, Olney was a humble, wise, and generous ambassador for the craft of songwriting. His loss, especially in the Nashville music community wherein he lived, is seismic.
Back in 2005, about 13 years after I began to write this weekly report, I started posting it in blog form. On the blog site, I wrote a brief bio and in it spoke of my aspiration to be a recognized songwriter. I said that, while I felt there were a lot of great contemporary songwriters, much of the best current songwriting is being eclipsed by pop music mediocrity. I also said that my songwriting was something for which I aspire to be remembered.
I’ve been many things in my 64 years. I’ve enjoyed creative writing since I was a young teen, I’ve been a boater since I was old enough to swim, I love all watersports,  I used to be an avid snow skier,  a photographer who spent a good deal of my teens in a darkroom. I enjoy hiking, observing wildlife, collecting old postcards, attending live concerts, people-watching, reading, cooking, really bad reality television shows, and a dozen other things which are likely of little interest to anyone else. I believe songwriting is the best tool I have to express myself. It is the skill I have consistently developed for over 4 decades, and the one thing I for which I hope I will be remembered when I am gone. The field of good songwriters is vast and ever-expanding, so that aspiration may be wildly optimistic. Each week, I find it humbling to discover yet another songwriter who impresses me. I am always shocked to note that the most talented and prolific among them are typically doomed to obscurity. I suppose it’s like that with most art, and often true genius goes under-recognized for a long time. In a letter Shauna and I received from Jon Brooks around the holidays, he said (and I paraphrase) that he continues to search for the perfect love song to write, the one which will unite mankind in a peaceful harmony. The great songwriters do this; they strike a universal chord that resonates among us all. While Jon may also hope to realize the elusive dream of wider recognition, he has already succeeded well beyond my most hopeful aspirations in songwriting. Someone made a comment recently under one of my reports, wherein I discussed songwriting, and she referred to songwriters as the prophets of our society. I think all good art reflects our world, and I have profound respect for the artists and storytellers who do that effectively.
The longer I live, the less impressed I am by the things that I once aspired to achieve: money, fame, and a stadium full of adoring fans. These days, I’d be content to figure out a way of teaching love and acceptance. Unfortunately, I’m still very much the student myself. I want to connect with people in some positive ways. My dream, for well over 40 years now, is to write at least one really good song, one that will be meaningful decades after I am gone. David Olney wrote dozens of those songs. The late, great  American songwriter, Townes Van Zandt, once said of David Olney: “Anytime anyone asks me who my favorite music writers are, I say Mozart, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Bob Dylan, and Dave Olney. Dave Olney is one of the best songwriters I’ve ever heard – and that’s true. I mean that from my heart.”   
R.I.P. David Olney. Thank you for your selfless contribution to the craft of songwriting, you’ve left big shoes to fill.


Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2020  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: