Monday, September 30, 2019

The Oppenheimer Report 9/30/19


Last week, there was a fundraiser, known as the Algonquin Outfitters Charity Paddle Art Auction. Local artists painted and/or carved their work onto canoe paddles, and the finished products were subsequently sold at an online auction. Shauna and I bid on several of those paddles. There were 182 from which to choose. We were entertained while watching the bidding process occur live online. As expected, some paddles with higher opening bids were more in demand than others. Shauna and I had nicknames for the paddles we were following. One work, by Zoe Valentine, was particularly interesting to us. It depicted a dead human arm and hand grasping a multi-coloured painted human arm. In some detail – and I may not have this exactly right – the artist described how the work represented the salvation of Tom Thomson’s artistic soul, from everyone who had copied or exploited his art. I suppose the painted arm and hand represents “original art”, and it is metaphorically pulling (the soul of) Tom Thompson out of the lake where he drowned. I like the concept, and think that the art is unique and creative. Shauna was hiding from me yesterday, trying to remain out of ear shot, because I kept bugging her, facetiously asking about the paddle in question: “What’s the latest bid on the psychedelic alien arm fishing Tom Thomson’s corpse out of Canoe Lake?” As I said, some of the paddles were more in demand than others, based on the success of the artist and/or the quality of the art. One paddle that Shauna and I particularly liked, crafted by an older local artist named John MacKenzie, was beautifully carved and painted to depict maple leaves in Autumn. After a prolonged bidding spree, that paddle sold for $1675. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this paddle art auction had something for everyone, at every price point. I understand that proceeds from the auction will be used to benefit several local art organizations, so it’s a win-win for our community. Shauna and I successfully bid on with two paddles which will soon adorn our log walls. It was our first time participating in one of those art auctions, but probably won’t be our last.

We have the artwork of several of our friends and local artists hanging on the walls of our house. I’ve known a lot of artists during my lifetime, and I try to support the ones whose work I respect. As I said earlier, art is in the eye of the beholder, and far be it from me to determine what is “good” or “bad” art. I can appreciate the expression and the intention without enjoying a work of art aesthetically. For me fine art is visceral. It’s a gut reaction, pro or con.

When I lived in Buffalo, I lived walking distance from the Albright-Knox Art Gallery and spent many hours there. The Albright-Knox specialized in modern art, not my favorite style of art, and there were some paintings in that gallery that completely eluded me. I vaguely remember one rather large painting, entitled something similar to “Fifty-Six Square Miles Of The Pacific Ocean South Of Oahu.” It was simply a large swath of blue. I think that’s kind of phoning it in. Given that I saw it in the Albright-Knox, I assume the painting was quite expensive. I don’t understand how art is valued, and it seems as if much of the great art in the world is only appreciated after the artist dies. I’m always amazed when I notice that the paintings of an artist like Van Gogh made the “most expensive” list, nine having been sold at auction for a total of close to $1 Billion; yet, Van Gogh died in poverty. Apparently, only one of his paintings was sold (for around 400 francs) while he was still alive. I wonder what someone would pay for his severed ear. I’ll bet Trump would buy Van Gogh’s ear, and then have it gold-plated. Provenance could be tricky to ascertain.

  
It seems to me like these are the dark ages for emerging artists, and unfortunately, I see many of my talented friends struggling to make ends meet. I can’t imagine a world without good art and music. Sadly, and as I have often said, the cream does not always rise to the top. Artists of all kinds are an important part of our community. Whenever possible we try to show our support. By the way, I was happy to hear that the canoe paddle with the rainbow-coloured arm, fishing Tom Thomson’s lifeless arm out of the lake sold for about $650. All told, that paddle auction raised over $30,000 and, all kidding aside, I am delighted to hear this. I hope that the money is well spent to support our local art community. Artists and their art make life better.

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer ©2019
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
jamieoppenheimersongwriter@gmail.com

Jamie Oppenheimer, Songwriter, Author, Blogger, Radio Producer, & Host has been writing THE OPPENHEIMER REPORT every MONDAY since 1992 and has published the articles on his blog since 2006. We are including Jamie's weekly reports, as a new feature of #HuntersBayRadio, The Bay 88.7FM.
#GotLocalHuntersBayRadio.com #WeAreMuskoka #WeAreAlmaguin

No comments: