Monday, November 05, 2018

The Oppenheimer Report 11/5/18

Tomorrow will be a historic day in the United States. I think there is a struggle taking place for the soul of America, and tomorrow's mid-term results will tell us how strongly Americans support Rump, the Orange Emperor. I watched a very interesting 60 Minutes segment last night discussing the heated senatorial race in Texas, a state traditionally considered to be a “red” or Republican state. Republican incumbent Ted Cruz is facing stiff opposition from his Democratic opponent, Beto O’Rourke, even though O’Rourke is running his campaign on a shoestring budget. The idealistic O’Rourke is not accepting any of  the big money PAC support that his bloated opponent relies upon. O'Rourke may lose; he’s fighting a very powerful incumbent, and it seems he brought a knife to a gunfight. Still, wouldn’t it be great if he won? I’d like to see Goliath take one right between the eyes. Some say this race is a litmus test for the political climate in the rest of the country. In keeping with his reality T.V. behavior, Rump the blowhard is scampering around the country trying to shore up his base (always at the taxpayer’s expense). Spreading his lies and ignorance, and sparing no indignity as he spews his irresponsible, hate-filled venom, Rump is proudly riding atop his turd-filled tsunami of fear. I don’t think there has ever been a more glaring example of political hypocrisy than Donald Rump hugging Ted Cruz at a campaign rally in Texas. I threw up a little in my mouth. Does anybody remember the horrible things they said about each other in the presidential primaries?! If, as I hope and pray, the Republicans lose the House (and I never thought I’d wish for this), and the Democrats take a few key states like Florida, Georgia, and Texas, then there may still be hope for the soul of America. Even if the Democrats win big, the problem isn’t fixed, we just stopped the bleeding temporarily. 

Last Friday night, I drove down to Huntsville to see singer songwriter Jon Brooks perform at the Huntsville Legion, and in tow I had fellow musicians Sean Cotton, Paul Noonan, and my bluegrass mentor Buck Marshall. Sadly Shauna, who has been battling the flu, was unable to attend. I feel terrible for her because she loves Jon's songs and had been looking forward to this concert for months. On the drive in to town I learned that Sean Cotton was good friends Jon Brooks and had been his musical accompanist in the past. After we arrived at the concert, I was walking around, socializing with friends and fellow attendees, then set up my cell phone to record the performances about to take place. The next thing I knew, Sean had made arrangements to borrow Jack Nickalls’ guitar (Jack and his friend Jack Gaughan played an excellent jazz set as the opening act), and he agreed to accompany Jon during his set. When they got up onstage and played, it was evident they had played together before. There was a palpable chemistry between these two old friends. Sean blended in beautifully and added his unique guitar leads to many of the songs I’d heard Jon perform  so many times before. As I have said ad nauseam on my Lyrical Workers show, one should never underestimate the ability of a good musician to improve an already well-written song. The whole night was fantastic, and I was grateful to have shared it with a respectable, like-minded audience.

I don’t know what will happen in tomorrow’s mid-terms; I expect the worst and hope for the best. My wish is to stem the jingoistic, hate-inspired, and myopic void in leadership which has characterized the past two years. We are better than this man. There is a new benchmark for bad leaders, and it’s time to send America’s Mussolini a message: You’re fired.  

- Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2018 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: