Monday, August 20, 2018

The Oppenheimer Report 8/20/18

Townes Van Zandt and Blaze Foley

Every week is a new music adventure for me these days, and as the mystery and the history unfold in front of me, I am constantly learning from different mentors. Hosting a radio show which professes to be about songwriting, I feel honor bound to up my game every week, and to research some of the music about which I know comparatively little. As I begin to connect the dots, I rely on the rich oral history to enlighten me. Songwriters know songwriters. In my capacity as radio how host of Lyrical Workers, I have now had extended conversations over the phone with several very different and interesting songwriters. Each time I have one of these conversations, it peels back another layer of the onion. I learn something about the writing process and am reminded of how much I don’t know.

Last week, at 12:30AM, during the first half hour of Shauna’s 60th birthday, I had a 45 minute phone conversation with a guy named Gurf Morlix. Gurf was originally from Hamburg, N.Y., just south of my hometown of Buffalo, and I first learned of him listening  a compilation CD of Buffalo artists distributed by the Buffalo Music Hall Of Fame. I fell in love with his haunting song Drums From New Orleans, and it inspired me to learn more about Gurf Morlix, the man with the unusual name. Buffalo was full of great musicians but I’d never heard of most of the guys on that Buffalo Music Hall Of Fame CD. As I began to explore Gurf’s career, I discovered that this hometown boy had made it pretty big in the music business. He left Buffalo in 1975 and headed down to Austin, Tx., and he never looked back. He told me that when he left Buffalo in his 20s, he was looking to spread his wings as an artist, and to add his own creative two cents to the genre of country music, a genre not widely embraced in Buffalo. He joked about the fact that he picked Austin because it was warm. I was impressed by his experience. He’d worked with/ co-written with of artists like Lucinda Williams, and he’d toured with the legendary Warren Zevon.

This Thursday night, I'll be featuring clips from my phone conversation with Gurf, placed throughout a show prominently featuring the music of Gurf and a now-deceased  songwriter named Blaze Foley. Foley will likely become better known with the imminent release of a film made about his short life, produced and directed by actor Ethan Hawke. The movie has already received critical acclaim at The Sundance Film Festival, and I look forward to its release. Blaze and Gurf arrived in Austin around the same time and became close friends shortly thereafter. Sadly, Blaze suffered from some of the self-destructive forces that plague so many creative artists. He never received the recognition he might have, had he not been held back by his demons. Hearing Gurf talk about his friend Blaze, I was reminded of the oldest story in entertainment: another creative genius falls prey to substance abuse and self-destruction.

As I have said on numerous occasions, made even more evident as I enter my 4th year as host of  Lyrical Workers, there is a universe of good music about which I know very little. As the door opens a crack, thanks to mentors like Gurf Morlix, Jon Brooks, Gordon Shawcross, Rob Lutes, Bobby Cameron, John Campbelljohn, Noah Zacharin, and a few dozen other contemporary songwriters, I am lit up by yet another creative bright light. It's always been my mission to get better at this, and knowledge is power. Ultimately, I want what most songwriters want: to connect with others through my personal interpretation of all that has come before me. With every new artist I discover, I can place another piece in the ever-expanding puzzle of the music I love, and I become a better songwriter because of it. Last Friday night I had the extreme pleasure to see blues phenomenon Matt Andersen perform in Huntsville at the Algonquin Theatre. Two years ago I did not know who Matt Andersen was, and now I am a huge fan. With each new discovery comes the growing realization that the field of talent around me is limitless, and so then is the potential for my own growth as a songwriter.

- Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2018 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: