Monday, April 10, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report 4/10/17

As I sit here Sunday night to begin this week’s report, I am listening to Ella Fitzgerald sing a Cole Porter tune on the Hunters Bay Radio Sunday night Martini Music show. Always trying to expand my musical horizons, I am learning to appreciate great songwriting in all genres of music. Besides, I feel somewhat compelled to listen to Martini Music, considering that the host, my 92 year-old mother-in-law Ethel “E.T.” Taylor, is presently visiting us for a few weeks. Today was one of those idyllic, early spring days, during which the mercury climbed above 60F degrees, and the sun burned away the blues (and grays). E.T. sat out in front of the house, in full view of the slowly melting frozen lake, armed with a cup full of seeds to feed the birds. I zapped into town on the ATV to give it an “Italian tune-up” (high-revving run to blow out the carburetor) and to buy some groceries. I then took Jasper for a long walk to sniff the newly uncovered winter debris. Nothing says “spring” like soggy, rotting vegetation. Our next door neighbors were up from Toronto to begin opening up their cottage. Spring Fever is in the air.

Last Saturday night, Shauna and I attended a concert in Huntsville, marking the release of local singer/songwriter Christina Hutt’s first EP. I first met Christina a few summers ago, at an outdoor concert in Huntsville. She was about to play an open mic at one of the local pubs, and, buoyed by the encouragement and mentoring from some established Canadian artists like Rita Chiarelli and Katherine Wheatley, she was eager to perform in public. At the time, I remember thinking to myself that her enthusiasm would soon be tempered. From my experiences, I’ve grown cynical whenever I see an emerging, hopeful musician.  When I finally did hear her sing, weeks later, I realized Christina has something special. Her tone, her vibrato, and her delivery are spellbinding.

The concert began with an improvisational set by Jack Nickalls on acoustic guitar, using a looping pedal to double track his music. Jack is the very talented fifteen year-old son of Grant Nickalls, Hunters Bay Radio weekday morning show host (and local actor/celebrity), and he is rapidly becoming a great guitarist. Particularly noteworthy to me was his jam on the bass riff to Ray Charles’ Hit The Road Jack. It was inspired, and it really set the tone for the rest of the evening. Next up was James Gray, producer of Christina’s new EP. Having toured all across Canada and parts of Western Europe, and recently back from a musical tour of Australia, James has over the past several years developed a stage presence that elevates his performances to the level of a seasoned professional. He forges a real connection with his audiences, and it is only through the experience of touring and interacting with audiences that one creates this connection. I didn’t feel it two years ago, when I first saw him play, but last Saturday night, I knew I was watching a pro.

Next up was Christina, accompanied by James on guitar, and the very talented Marion Linton on violin. Marion is featured on the new EP (as well as many other local and probably national recordings) and she adds so much to the production of every song to which she contributes. Christina’s set was lovely, hypnotizing in fact. It included a few covers, as well as all the original songs from her new EP. I knew she was prepared, but she exceeded my wildest expectations. For Shauna and me, it is always rewarding to watch local artists develop over time. Christina is probably the most improved local artist I’ve had the pleasure to follow, and I’ve been fortunate enough to work with her on more than one occasion.  The very first time I saw her perform, she was shy and a little awkward on stage, but once she began to sing, she was riveting.  Still, an artist needs more than raw talent to attract a following, and the woman I saw perform at Trinity United Church last Saturday night, accompanied by two seasoned musicians, had reached a new benchmark. She was developing what James has: a connection with the audience. Although I really have nothing to do with her improvement, I felt the same pride welling up that I feel when I see any artist who so obviously develops their performing skills. Christina’s new EP is available through Hunters Bay Radio, and probably online as well. I look forward to the day when one or a few of these emerging local talents attracts some national and international attention. Christina Hutt could be one of those artists.                      -  Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED      

No comments: