Monday, March 27, 2017

The Oppenheimer Report 3/27/17

Today’s rant concerns little but annoying design failures. Most but not all of these little problems are directly related to winter conditions. First up is my Ariens 27” Deluxe snow blower. We bought the machine about six or seven years ago, and it has in most ways been a satisfactory snow blower. We do have a snowplow guy, but in an emergency I need to be able to clear our driveway. As well, after heavy snowfalls, I use our snow blower to cut back the sides of the ever-narrowing driveway path, when we run out of places to put the snow. In fact, that snow blower has come in very handy since we purchased it. That said, I’ve probably used it 25 times since we bought it. The other day, I went out to start it, and the manual pull starter cord broke. It seems that a starter cord should last longer than forty or fifty pulls, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. I did not intend to replace the cord myself, because I’m wary of messing with recoil springs, but I did look up the replacement procedure on YouTube. After watching a video, I figured I could at least remove the recoil mechanism and take that relatively small part to a mechanic for repair. For almost all snow blowers this is an easy procedure: remove four bolts and the recoil mechanism comes off. I must have one of the only models wherein the recoil housing is riveted to the engine block. To remove the recoil assembly one must drill out the rivets. Why would anyone design a part, one that will inevitably need replacement, to be so difficult to disassemble? Now, I must take the whole machine to the repair shop, which means transporting it in my landscape trailer, which means waiting until the snow melts! 

Next up in the “what-were-they-thinking” department is Shauna’s 2011 Nissan Juke. Not only have there been a laundry list of recalls on the car, but there have been a myriad of electrical failures and design flaws. One winter day, Shauna could not open the gas cap lid because it was frozen shut. Great design! The other day, I tried to start the car in sub-zero conditions, and there wasn’t enough juice in the battery. I pulled the hood release to pop the hood and give the battery a jump, but nothing happened. I could not open the hood. I called the Nissan dealership, and their solution is to tow the car to a dealer, on a flatbed trailer. When the weather warmed up a bit, I managed to get the car running, and took it to a local car mechanic to have this relatively simple problem fixed. Had I been out on the open road I would have been S.O.L. Why must there be a hood release inside the car anyway? Inevitably, the interior release involves a wire cable, and this is just one more part to fail. I've read that Nisson is notorious for electronical problems, and in my opinion this is becoming a bigger and bigger problem with a lot of new cars. The Juke has tire pressure sensors, which I think are completely unnecessary. I can see when my tires are low on air. Every season, when we put on the snow tires, the tire “low pressure” light comes on, even though the tires are properly inflated, and it can only be reset at a Nissan dealer, or someone with the expensive diagnostic tools used by Nisson.

My new Honda is not without its design flaws. There is a back-up camera installed on the rear hatch of the car which, in theory, helps me to see what is behind me when I’m backing out of or into a parking space. Unfortunately, the camera is so placed that, if there is any precipitation whatsoever, it immediately becomes covered in grime and useless. In other words, half the time it is un-usable. The radio on this Honda is supposed to be state of the art, but in fact it is horribly counter-intuitive. It involves a touch screen (I dislike touch screens intensely), and every time the car is turned off, it is a two-step process to get back to the radio screen. While some radio controls are available on the steering wheel, many are not. On every other car stereo I’ve owned, the CD player is simple and easy to use. It typically includes fast forward and rewind controls that allow the listener to scroll through a song. I often want to hear a lyric repeated, but with this system, I can only jump ahead to the next song, or back to the beginning of the song being played. If the car is turned off with a CD in the player, unless the CD was being played when the car was turned off, it will not recognize that CD until it is ejected and re-inserted. Disregarding the minor annoyance of these design flaws, there is the obvious issue of distraction. It is against the law to operate a cell phone while driving a car, but operating this Honda radio requires more attention than texting on a phone. It’s absolutely ridiculous, especially when the weather is frigid and the control screen becomes unresponsive to my touch. Don’t even get me started on voice activated controls.This is not progress folks.

My philosophy is “don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.” While many of the electronic devices used into new car technology improve fuel efficiency and perhaps safety, some of them are just annoying, unnecessary, and complicated to fix. I look forward to the imminent release of the mass-produced self-driving car. I hope they aren’t designed by the guy who dreamed up my car stereo. Computer-operated autos: what could possibly go wrong there?

-Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED      

No comments: