Monday, January 09, 2017

TheOppenheimer Report 1/9/17

Last Friday night, my song “Dear Dirty Dublin”, produced by local musician Juan Barbosa, was chosen from a long list of 46 local contenders to be the #2 pick on the Hunters Bay Radio Top 20 songs of 2016. For me, this was like winning a Grammy. Flanking me at #1 was “Radio Man” co-written by dear colleagues Gina Horswood, Paul Lagendyk, and the great Andre Wahl, who produced the song as a tribute to our late friend James Carroll. At #3 was Bet Smith and the Currie Brothers with “Bake Sale Angel, Barbecue Queen”. These are both great songs, and in fact I cast my one vote for Bet Smith & The Currie Brothers. The field of talent in this competition was remarkable, and I am humbled and deeply honored to have been placed so highly on the list.

I know we sometimes sound like the mutual congratulation society up here in the Muskoka and Almaguin Highlands region, but I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a community supportive of the arts. This is what keeps art alive, and I would not be so supportive were I not convinced this is true and important. I have been doing this for a very long time. Music is not something one should take up with the expectations of fame or fortune. A long time ago, those were my unrealistic aspirations, but fame is no longer my goal. Music can and does enrich our lives.

When Shauna and I moved up here around 2007, I had all but given up on any kind of recognition for my song writing. After twenty or so years of open mics and rejection letters, I decided I would stop trying to interest others in my work. I could never stop writing; I believe in my ability to write songs. I will always strive to improve my skills, and thanks to the love and encouragement of my extremely talented and beautiful wife Shauna Leigh Taylor, I have never given up. Nevertheless, I have experienced enough rejection that I could have come to believe no one was listening, or worse yet, that I was simply not good enough. My late friend James Carroll, and fellow songwriter Doug Mclean, whose opinions I respect, encouraged me to present my work to the local community. In doing so, I became involved in a musical world I thought I’d never discover. This involvement has been transformative for me. In the three or four years since I became active in the local music community I have grown measurably and met some remarkable songwriters. I have seen artists emerge that are worthy of national and perhaps international recognition. This is my brass ring. To be a part of a vibrant musical community is all I ever really wanted.

Writing is a tricky thing. We writers need enough hubris to believe that we deserve to be heard, but enough humility to recognize our place in the pecking order. I thought I’d written a few strong songs, but when I discovered artists like Jon Brooks, Rob Lutes, Garnett Rogers, Jason Isbell, John Moreland, John Stewart, Chuck Brodsky, Rodney Crowell, Suzie Vinnick, Rick Fines, Scott Nolan, Lucinda Williams, Tom Wilson, Stephen Fearing, Deni Gauthier, Katherine Wheatley, Catherine MacLellan, just to lightly scratch the surface of the talent that is out there, I am rightfully humbled. The reason why I write songs is simply that I have no choice. They are the demons and the angels that need to be released from my soul in order for me to function in a crazy world. They are my meaning, my catharsis; they are my stepping stones over the turbulent waters of life, and they keep me sane. Goodness knows, it isn’t a big leap to the other side! That someone has heard and acknowledged my songs is a great honour for me.

Finally, and I have said this many times before, thank goodness for Hunters Bay Radio, and people like the late James Carroll, Jeff Carter, Grant Nickalls, and all the other great folks that keep the fire burning. Good music exists everywhere. It can be eclipsed by publicists, and Billboard ratings, and arena concerts, but it is on street corners (Joni Mitchell’s “For Free”), in small bars and bistros, on YouTube, SoundCloud, at open mics, kitchen parties, house parties, jamborees, festivals, and especially at community and college radio stations. Thank you to everyone who voted for me, I am truly humbled and delighted to have received this recognition. This is my brass ring. Most important, thank you Hunters Bay Radio, for all you do. You are the loudspeaker broadcasting the message that good music is alive and well. Talent is everywhere, but without a mouthpiece like HBR, it fades into thin air. For all you listeners out there, be vocal about the artists you like. I will be one of the guys holding the HBR banner on the front lines, and I will never take for granted the precious gift of exposure. Thanks again to all of you who voted for my song!
-       Jamie Oppenheimer

No comments: