Monday, December 19, 2016

The Oppenheimer Report 12/19/16

Saturday afternoon, I listened to Tony’s Rockin’ Shindig on our local radio station. Tony Clement is our local Member of Parliament here in the Muskoka region, and he hosts his show one Saturday of each month. He’s probably the most high profile radio host we have at the station, as he’s in on television quite a lot, commenting about the latest political issues in Ottawa. Tony takes the time to research his artists, and his show, which focuses on rock ‘n roll, is always interesting and informative. In last week’s show he featured offbeat Christmas songs, and he played a lot of songs I’d never before heard. In this past week, I’ve heard a lot of interesting Christmas songs on “The Bay” (a/k/a Hunters Bay Radio); songs which I’d never heard before. I prefer the darker Christmas songs, and I listened to one the other day that I liked enough to feature in my own Lyrical Workers show. The song is entitled “Christmas Is Upon Us”, by a Massachusetts punk rock band called The Dropkick Murphys. It’s about the dysfunction of Christmas family gatherings, and it made me laugh. In my show last week, I played “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer” performed by Elmo Shropshire and his then wife Patsy, a/k/a Elmo and Patsy. Written by Elmo’s friend Randy Brooks, the song has been a favorite of mine since it was released in 1979.

Last Friday night, I performed five of my original songs at the Burk’s Falls Legion during the monthly 3rd Friday Coffee House. In that performance, to about 60 or 70 people, I played one of my dark Christmas songs, “Merry Christmas To Me”, and that was the first time I have ever played that song in public. Somewhat autobiographical, the song refers to an experience I had as a teen, wherein my cousin, my best friend, and I hitched to downtown Buffalo to go to a party hosted by a notorious local pot dealer. It was Christmas Eve, and we were picked up by two guys, dressed up as Santa and an elf, driving a very beat up red Ford Van. We were probably somewhat intoxicated, but Santa and the elf decidedly had us beat. Santa was drinking Jack Daniels out of the bottle, and both he and the elf were smoking a joint. Keep in mind, this was the Seventies, and around the holiday season I’ll wager that half of Buffalo was driving around intoxicated. There’s actually an internet meme about the unique ability of Western New Yorkers to drive drunk in snowstorms. At sixteen or seventeen, my ability to make wise decisions had not yet even begun to develop and, happy to be out of the cold, we hopped into the van without a second thought. I don’t remember much about the ride downtown, although we were riding in a dilapidated, rear wheel drive van, with no shocks, in a snowstorm, with a very drunk and stoned driver dressed up like St. Nick.  We made it to the party unscathed, and there I remember drinking a lot of really crappy pink wine. Back in the 70’s, Pink Catawba wine from some Upstate New York State winery was a popular cheap wine in Western New York.  Along the lines of Mad Dog 20/20, or Ripple, or Boone’s Farm, Pink Catawba was sweet, rotgut swill that tasted a bit like ginger ale. In keeping with my severely under-developed ability to make wise decisions, I guzzled about five or six big glasses of Pink Catawba rotgut, and probably drove the porcelain bus at some point in the evening. Another thing I remember about that night - and keep in mind I had only recently been exposed to marijuana - was that someone was walking around with a salad bowl full of joints, passing them out to guests like hors d’ouevres. As a sixteen year-old kid, I had never seen so much weed in one place. In the song, which I probably wrote in my mid-30s, I took poetic license and embellished the story for effect. The subject of the song was a loser adult (not like me!), Santa and the elf were drunk, stoned, and high on hallucinogenic drugs, and the story ends with the loser staggering around in the snow at 3AM “wondering where the hell to call home.” While many of my songs include kernel of personal experience; the trick is to make the message universal. I also played another original song during that Burk’s Falls performance, which I have only just completed. It’s about an old friend of mine who had at one point in his life had ended up in prison due to drug addiction. I recently heard from him, now clean and sober for sixteen years, and he seems to have put his life back on track. “Old friends are the hardest to deny/Because Old friends know the secrets that we hide.”

If you plan to imbibe this holiday season, and many of you will, let a designated driver or a cab be your ride home. May your holidays be blessed with peace, good health and, of course, good music!


Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c 2016 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: