Monday, September 12, 2016

The Oppenheimer Report 9/12/16

As I’ve said many times in this report, I never cease to be impressed by the improvement I observe in local songwriters. A few weeks ago, we attended a concert at the Algonquin Theatre in Huntsville for the release of Clayton Earl’s first CD and DVD entitled Now You Know Me. Clayton is a relative newcomer to the local songwriter scene, and the first time I saw him perform several years ago was perhaps his first real public performance as a songwriter. That first night, his stage presence was a little stiff, but there was something about his songs that resonated in me. I’ve seen him perform a few times since, and he has improved with each show. At the CD release performance, he brought in several ringers from the local musician pool, and coupled with his improved stage presence, the concert was really good. Decidedly, what moved me most was the message of the documentary.


The show began with the debut screening of a documentary, produced by Mark Boucher, entitled “Now You Know Me” and it features interviews with Clayton about what until then had been his secret. What none of us in the audience knew, including Clayton’s own father, was that Clayton suffers from severe depression, and has more than once come very close to ending his own life. He discusses it unabashedly in the video, and leaves us with the message that suicidal tendencies are not something to be ignored. Tragically, this is a well-kept secret, and suicides are on the rise, especially among young people. In fact, I  was shocked by the numbers. The problem is that sufferers feel shame and self-loathing, and often successfully hide their feeling from their friends and families. His message is directed to the sufferers: I have this, and I found a way out; you can too. I know Clayton will save lives with this video. Maybe he already has.

 
Clayton hit a raw nerve in me, because I too suffer from depression and, albeit not as severe as his, mine has been at times paralyzing. He talks about how songwriting became a cathartic therapy for him, and exorcised some of the dark thoughts in his head. I relate to that, because it has been the same for me. Some of my songs are pretty dark, but once out of me, the toxic thoughts are externalized, and I feel relief.  Of course not all songs are going to be interesting to or fit for the general public, but for me, it is the songs that explore inner turmoil that most interest me. If you suffer from depression, you know what a prison it can be. Sometimes it’s as simple as a chemical imbalance, and can be modified with drugs, or even better nutrition, but one needs to recognize the illness before one can address it. This is what is so sad, many do not, and many kill themselves as a result of their feelings of hopelessness. How many creative souls have succumbed to the ravages of drugs and/or alcohol because of their inability to cope? We watch the celebrity train wrecks and shake our heads wondering how someone successful could fail so catastrophically. I’m not a celebrity, but I know what it is like to have everything a man could want, but to still feel worthless. The reasons I quit drinking in 2013 are manifold, but to be honest, a good part of it was the realization that alcohol contributed to my self-loathing. Now that I no longer drink, my self-esteem has improved inestimably. Not usually one to play the evangelical, sober alcoholic, I will say this. I could never have hosted a radio show, or performed my original songs live on air, or finally created that ever-elusive CD of my songs, had I still been under the control of the bottle.

    
Last Thursday night, I performed live on air at Hunters Bay Radio for about an hour, and a video of the performance was recorded on Periscope. I don’t do a lot of live performances, but if you want to see what that looks like, consult the Hunters Bay Radio Facebook page. I’m on there somewhere. I can see improvement in my performance, and I am proud of myself for having improved. To me, that is my Juno, or Grammy. To all the people out there, and especially to those who are creative but feel detached from the general public, you are not alone. Many of us have feelings of low self-esteem. Clayton has done a brave thing here. He inspires the rest of us in his community to wake up to the problem, and to get the help some of us sorely need. Nice work Clayton, we need more people in the community like you.

 

  - Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2016 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: