Monday, March 21, 2016

The Oppenheimer Report 3/21/16

 
The girls out for a walk

To my twelve loyal readers, welcome to the first full day of spring, 2016! It’s hard to believe that someone who is retired finds himself pressed for time, but such has been the case of late. Recent reports have been rushed and not well written, and for this I apologize. For the next couple of months I’ll be adding in the occasional older report, written during the past 24 years. I need a breather to regroup, and I’ll wager that at least half of those twelve loyal readers have not read these earlier reports. I assure you that more thought went into them than I am presently capable of mustering. First up is an entry from January 2002 …

 

1/14/02 - In order to facilitate Shauna’s recovery from recent surgery, I’ve developed my own special physical therapy program for her: I bought a greatest hits collection of funk music. There’s nothing like funk music to get the body shakin’ and ambulatin.’

 

I’m a little ashamed to admit that I like funk so much, but I have always been fond of funk. Lately, with the overabundance of music I absolutely can’t stand, funk music and other music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's has become infinitely more enjoyable to me. As a brief aside, the famous king of punk funk, Rick James, lived just down the street from my parents in Buffalo, before he had his minor brush with the law and went to prison. His version of “Dance Wit Me,” also recorded by Rufus, is a particular favorite of mine. Anyhow, the other day, I was trolling through the cutout bins at the Sunrise Records store near our apartment, and I found a funk collection that included one of MY all time favorites, “Play that Funky Music (white boy)” by Wild Cherry. Shauna is a great dancer, and I knew that if I played this particular cut for her, she wouldn’t be able to help but kick up her heels. Even the rhythm-challenged among you would be forced into some sort of uncontrollable movement if you heard that song.  Other hits in the compilation include “Jungle Boogie” by Kool & the Gang (formerly known as The Jazziacs), “Cut the Cake” by AWB (Average White Band), and who could forget The Brothers Johnson singing, “Get the Funk Out Ma Face?” This is solid gold funk, and though it does not include such funk mainstays as “Brick House” by the Commodores, and anything by Tower of Power , this is a pretty good anthology for the funk-deprived. You “body Nazis” can keep your workout videos; give me a good collection of funk songs any day to burn off MY calories.

 

Biker bad boys The Hell’s Angels were in Toronto last week having a reunion. In their infinite wisdom, the Toronto Police suggested that local restaurants and bars refuse to serve these bikers if they were wearing their biker colors. If a restaurant has a dress code in place, that restaurant has the right to refuse a customer who is unsuitably dressed. Still, four hundred Angels are expected in town for this reunion, and that could be a lot of beer for those willing to serve these notorious party animals. Let the proprietors decide who is welcome and who isn’t. The police wanted bar and restaurant owners to post signs outside their establishments, informing the bikers they were not welcome if they didn’t conform to some ambiguous and arbitrary dress code. Not all bikers are unruly criminals, and conversely, not all well-dressed businessmen are gentlemen. Jerks are jerks, and if a patron gets out of control, kick him or her out, or call the police. Mayor Mel Lastman got into trouble for his perceived support of the biker reunion, thus prompting the expression “Mel’s Angels.”

 

Ford Motor Company has announced it will lay off about 30,000 workers, and that includes 1,500 workers at the Oakville plant near Toronto.  A Senate subcommittee has subpoenaed 51 Enron employees to try and determine if the largest bankruptcy in American history involved fraud. $60 Billion in shareholder value was wiped out with this failure, and that ain’t small potatoes. Was George Dubya a front man for the big money boys?  I’m sure the Democrats will say so. Sen. Joe Lieberman is one of the guys investigating any wrongdoing, which I find somewhat amusing. If he were a vindictive man, he might try and pin this on George, but all indications are that he isn’t that kind of guy.  Enron chairman Ken Lay was a big Bush supporter, and there have been rumblings that Bush may have given Enron special treatment. A bunch of al-Qaeda prisoners are being flown from Afghanistan to the U.S. Naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. I find it hard to believe there is a debate in America over whether their treatment has been too harsh. Good-bye to Dave Thomas, lovable founder of Wendy’s Hamburgers. I thought for sure the guy would die of a heart attack, but it was liver cancer that did him in. He made his hamburgers square in shape because Wendy’s doesn’t cut corners. Ethan Zohn won the million bucks on Survivor Africa, and if you wonder why I’m reporting such inane trivia, well I have one thing to say to you ...

get the funk out ma face.            - Jamie Oppenheimer

 

 

 

 

No comments: