Monday, November 16, 2015

The Oppenheimer Report 11/16/15


I began writing this report before I learned of the Paris attacks. I am including the first paragraph because I think it is eerily prescient…

Friday, 10:45 A.M. - As I begin this week’s missive, it is the morning of Friday the 13th, and while I am not a superstitious man by nature, I am feeling a little strange today. There is a weird energy about me which I cannot explain. I’m not even sure if it is negative or positive, simply that it is a feeling things are ripe for change. I consulted Wikipedia, my oft-referenced source of misinformation, to gain some insight as to why Friday the 13th might be considered unlucky, and came up with a myriad of possible reasons. Dating back to The Last Supper, there are plenty of examples why the superstitious might rue this day. If my readers are so inclined, they can research this for themselves, but I found two so-called statistics noteworthy. According to a stress clinic in North Carolina, it is estimated that as many as 21 Million Americans are terrified of this day, and will go out of their way to avoid normal routines in order to circumnavigate bad luck. Elsewhere in the article, it was estimated that as much as $900 Million in revenue is lost on Friday the 13th because people are avoiding their normal activities. I think when your number is up, it’s up. Certainly one can stack the deck, and as the Darwin Awards clearly remind us, fools tend to remove themselves from the gene pool prematurely. Is Friday the 13th really unlucky?

 
Friday, 4:30 P.M. Just turned on the radio for the first time today and heard the news about the terrorist attacks in Paris. Is this what I felt earlier? After learning about this Paris attacks, I had the same desperate feeling that I had when Shauna and I watched the second plane hit the World Trade Center on 9-11: utter horror and disgust. When it became apparent that there had in fact been several concurrent attacks on U.S. soil, I was filled with the competing emotions of fear and rage. These attacks, born out of religious zealotry are nothing new, but it is discouraging to see a growing number of religious fundamentalists bent on destroying the status quo. Good people practice their religions to find peace and harmony in a world that is often confusing and frightening, but a few nut balls can turn the world upside down. Myopia and zealotry seem to be on the rise, and I don’t think this is a hopeful sign for humanity. Apparently, it was ISIS this time; last time, it was al Qaeda, but does it really matter? I googled “Muslim terrorist organizations” and came up with a list of close to one hundred different groups. This is not a war we win with bombs or by “putting boots on the ground.” The new enemy is a shadow society whose ideology is inconceivable to us. It targets civilians, and there are no rules of engagement. The new world war will be a battle of intelligence, communication, and technology … does anyone else find this ironic? How many other attempts were thwarted? French intelligence was outmatched this time, and I suspect there are a lot of other major population centers equally vulnerable to the un-detectability of these threats. I suspect that the planners will be systematically hunted down and killed, like that recently exterminated monster featured in all those internet beheading videos. Still, others will spring up in their place, like Whac-A-Moles, and the circle of violence will continue to feed on itself. How many times must history repeat itself? Hatred cannot be exterminated with violence. Yesterday, I read some online comments about these attacks. I was distressed to see that so much hatred has been directed towards the Syrian refugees. Somewhere near Toronto, a mosque was burned down. Revenge, or finding scapegoats, will not solve the problems.  Should we now treat every Muslim like the Germans treated every Jew in WWII? Though a Syrian refugee was allegedly involved in the Paris attacks, so were French nationals.

At the risk of sounding naïve, I believe love, respect, and compassion are the only things that can eradicate this cancer on mankind, and it’s not just our enemies’ hearts and minds that need to be changed. The enemy already lives among us. Absolutely, root out the bad guys. Marginalize this blight on mankind and stop them however we can, but don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater, or we are as bad as they are.

 
We have just celebrated Remembrance Day. I was a day late, but I drove to the Burk's Falls Legion and made a donation towards their purchase of a new furnace. I wanted to do some good for the people we should be hailing as our heroes. With the approach of the American Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday, I am thankful for so many things I once took for granted. I am thankful for my (somewhat eroding) freedom, for my beautiful wife, for my good parents, and for the good friends I have made thus far. I am also thankful that I have not given up on mankind. It’s a choice, and I hope my readers feel the same.
 

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: