Monday, October 19, 2015

The Oppenheimer Report - 10/19/15


 
Last Saturday night, Shauna and I attended the concert of our friend Jamie Clarke and his band Myrle, at the Algonquin Theatre in Huntsville. That was a great show and marked the release of Myrle’s new CD A Dozen Hearts. Also on the bill was his producer, the legendary Canadian Indie rocker Ron Hawkins. Yank that I am, and under-apprised of so much good Canadian talent, a year ago, I did not know who Ron Hawkins was. When I heard the name, I assumed he was Ronnie “The Hawk” Hawkins, Arkansas rockabilly artist and inventor of the moonwalk. Thanks to Hunters Bay Radio, I have been exposed to Ron Hawkins’ work, and am now a big fan. He’s a great songwriter and a riveting performer.
 

In fact, this was the first social event Shauna has attended in over 2 months. After extensive tests and frequent visits to doctors, we have fairly well determined that her Crohn’s Disease is acting up again, and this latest assault has made Shauna extremely ill. Most of our trips out have been medically related and this CD release concert was really her first public appearance since the Hunters Bay Radiothon in August. We have made many friends up here in this community and it is frustrating for both of us. Shauna wants to accept invitations to dinner, parties, and musical performances, but often does not feel well enough to go. Indeed we are often running behind schedule, even for doctors' appointments, and for those of you who regularly deal with chronic illness, you are aware that it can be difficult to make plans. One of the many reasons Shauna is so active in the online promotion of local artists is that it gives her a sense that she is contributing to the local music scene. Both of us share the desire to promote talented artists; I’m the legs and she is the brains. Her marketing skills are exceptional.
 

Today is Federal Election day and, while I cannot vote in Canada, I will bundle Shauna up before the end of the day and drive her over to the Katrine Community Center to cast her vote. If one pays attention to the polls, incumbent Conservative PM Stephen Harper is running well behind Liberal pretty boy Justin Trudeau. Canadians seem to be disgusted with the divisiveness of the Harper government and with his lack of transparency. I am no fan of Stephen Harper, although I am concerned that the inexperienced Trudeau will prove to be a disappointing alternative, especially wherein the Canadian economy is concerned. Much of the slow growth in the Canadian economy would likely have occurred regardless of the leader in charge, and much of it was an inevitable result of the slowdown in the global economy. Raising the taxes on the rich sounds great but just ask an economist if this is a realistic strategy. I’m wary Trudeau will give away the candy store. The fact is, I am always wary of a vote against one candidate as opposed to a vote for another. That is how NDP Premier Bob Rae was elected Premier of Ontario in the 80s and that protest vote proved to be disastrous for the Ontario economy. If Harper is not re-elected, he can probably attribute it in large part to his affiliation with Mike “Mr. Pork” Duffy and the senate scandal. Voters want transparency in their leaders, and Harper did everything but own up to his mistakes. I wish I had a crystal ball to tell me who is the right guy for the job. Especially in the American elections, there are no clear choices. By the way, did anyone else see the SNL spoof on the American Democratic debate held last week? Seinfeld creator and comic Larry David did a hilarious impression of Democratic curmudgeon Bernie Sanders. Bang on.


Next weekend, I am scheduled to perform at an all-day songwriters festival in Huntsville, and I understand I am to be involved in a seminar which includes one of my song writing idols, Jon Brooks. I’m honored. I’d rehearsed for two performances I was forced to cancel last summer, so I am looking forward to playing next Saturday. I sign off on this blustery cold October afternoon. I took my last dip of the season a week ago Saturday. The boat is still in the water, but it’s time to service the snow blower.  - Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: