Friday, June 19, 2015

The Oppenheimer Report - 6/15/15

To my 12 loyal readers (and thanks to one of them for reminding me!) - While I wrote this week's report I forgot to post it. Jasper's surgery was Monday and with all the commotion, I did not post what I had written. Sorry! Jasper is fine by the way. Practically toothless, but fine. Here is Monday's report, albeit on Friday ....


Today Jasper has to have dental surgery and we are trepidatious when she needs to be anesthetized. This is her second dental surgery to remove decayed teeth, the first time she had about twenty removed. As adult dogs have about 42 teeth, you can imagine this was a lot of teeth to remove. This surgery will hopefully be far less invasive. You are probably thinking to yourselves, what terrible dog parents; don’t you care for her teeth? We did. Unfortunately, Miniature Schnauzers are particularly prone to bad teeth, and this is a double whammy because, at the direction of her breeder, Jasper eats soft dog food. There is a big debate about the pros and cons of a soft food diet, but we choose to honor our breeder’s advice. She has had good success breeding healthy schnauzers. When we first got Jasper as a pup – she just turned ten this May - her breeder gave us a regimen to follow in order to keep her teeth clean, and we did what we were told. There was a spray, which we were instructed to spray on her teeth after meals, and that evolved into a kelp derivative which we added to her food. We were also instructed to brush her teeth, but this has been problematic for a number of reasons. Have you had much success brushing your dog’s teeth? It became increasingly difficult after half of them were removed, and eventually I just smeared the enzymatic toothpaste (poultry flavor) on her teeth with a finger brush. Hindsight is 20/20 and the vet had recommended periodic teeth cleaning, requiring anesthesia, but we were concerned about putting her under. Pet dental care never really impressed me as a priority in the care of our pet, but in fact it is serious business. Jasper developed an infection from decaying teeth which, if left unattended might have killed her.
 

Last Saturday night Shauna and I attended a local concert in Huntsville, something we have not done as often as we would have liked of late. We saw our friend, local singer-songwriter Sean Cotton, opening for Juno Award-winning Canadian blues artist Suzie Vinnick. Also on the bill was Canadian guitar virtuoso Wendell Ferguson, and if you ever have the opportunity to see this guy perform in your town, you will not be disappointed. On top of having a deliciously irreverent sense of humor, Wendell is an excellent guitarist and songwriter. His song writing often involves parody and humor, which sometimes belies his remarkable technical abilities as a guitarist. A big fan of Chet Atkins, Wendell is an accomplished finger picker and his music is a delight to the ears. He accompanied Suzie and the two of them went back and forth playing their original songs. This is rapidly becoming my favorite kind of musical performance, wherein two or more artists perform and discuss their work or the songs they cover. While I am still a fan of pop music, more and more I eschew big venues and “popular” artists in favor of smaller more intimate concerts. After the show I had an opportunity to talk to these two very approachable artists and get our cd’s signed. Every time I see a new and talented artist I am reminded of how much under-recognized talent there is in the world, and I try to avoid thinking about the unbalanced weight pop culture places on mediocre talent. Over the past several years I have had many musicians tell me how good Wendell is and it was pleasure to finally see him.
 

We have been back up north for two weeks now, and I have been able to get back to broadcasting “Lyrical Workers” from the Hunter’s Bay Radio studio. I implore all twelve of my loyal readers to offer suggestions for songs they might like to hear on the radio. So far, I have had some interesting suggestions, and there have been a lot of “oh yeah, I forgot about that song” moments. Some of my friends have an encyclopedic knowledge of music, and this only serves to improve my show. Many years ago, Gil, my music-loving friend from Florida, gave me a one year subscription to CMJ magazine, which is a publication focusing on new music. With every issue there came a CD of new music from various artists. Some of the songs I did not care for, but many were really great. Gil knew I wrote songs, and this was such a thoughtful gift. Gil also introduced me to the novelty band Dread Zeppelin many years ago. I’ve heard a lot of people personalize Led Zeppelin songs, but never before in the reggae style. My friend Earle in Memphis introduced me to John Prine a long time ago, and has been a reliable source of musical wisdom over the years. While I generally focus on songs I feel are strong lyrically, and in fact have begun to read lyrics on air that impress me, I will play anything that I deem to be a strong song. That can include songs no one has heard before. I am always willing to listen, once, and it is always exciting for me to hear a song that moves me for the first time. There are several songs that fellow songwriters have written that have never been heard by the general public, and with their permission, I will do my best to air those songs. Lately I have been listening to a lot of bluegrass, crooner and Broadway music. These are three forms of music which I would have ignored thirty-five years ago, when I began to writing songs. I hope that some of my 12 loyal readers will tune in to the show for a listen if you find the time. Muskokaonline.com is the Hunter’s Bay Radio website.

                           Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: