Monday, January 26, 2015

The Oppenheimer Report - 1/26/15

Doesn't this pretty much say it all?
 

 Music continues to fill in the blanks during this somewhat desolate January. Last week my producer Juan Barbosa and I spent some time deciding which of the 26 songs we have so far recorded should make the cut for the first CD. That list has changed three or four times, and I think we are finally down to between twelve and fourteen keepers. The album has evolved considerably from its original form, and now Juan sings (and does just about everything else as well) on about half of the tracks. While still showing my range as a songwriter, the album has a much more R&B feel to it than it originally did. My goals have changed as well. Initially, I wanted this to be about my versatility as a songwriter, almost like a songwriter’s demo. Now, as I discover what a gifted producer and musician I have at my disposal, the album has become more of a showcase for Juan’s talents. My ambition is to have this album of songs in some way improve Juan’s exposure as an artist, because he is decidedly the most talented person with whom I have had the privilege to work. I am immodest enough to believe that my songs, combined with Juan’s skills as a musician (guitarist, bassist, and drummer, not to mention a phenomenal vocalist) have turned this album into something really interesting. I don’t know if it will “sell” in the real world, but it is notable that for two weeks in a row, one of the songs on the album, Every Day, made it to #1 on the Hunter’s Bay Radio Top 20 list, and three or four of my songs are in regular rotation. I never expected airplay, much less that kind of recognition, and I am on cloud nine. This coming Thursday night, January 29th , Juan and I will be performing some of the songs on my new album live on air at Hunter’s Bay Radio, on a show called “Live Drive”. The show runs from 6-7pm, and if you are within 40 miles of Huntsville you can pick it up on the FM dial (88.7FM). Alternatively, if you are out of the area and have access to a computer, you can go to www.muskokaonline.com, click on “Listen Live”, and that should get you to the live broadcast. While I am nervous about performing live on the air for an entire hour, this is an excellent opportunity to reach a wider audience (Juan has a substantial following in this area), and I am eternally grateful to Hunter’s Bay Radio for the air time. I do not think I have ever before experienced a radio station which is so supportive of local artists. Music is the great unifier – so unify on January 29th - even if it to laugh at my mistakes live on air. Enough about me, what do YOU think of me?

 
Last week, the story that eclipsed ISIS, and the ever spreading blight of crazy religious nut jobs in the Middle East, was the story of “Inflategate” - the revelation that, in their decisive 43-22 defeat over the Indianapolis Colts last week, the New England Patriots may have given themselves an unfair advantage by using under-inflated footballs. Oh my. Of course, the real question on everybody’s minds (besides “why are we even talking about this??”) is: “Was this in any way the deciding factor in the game?” Cheating in the NFL, what a surprise. What’s next, steroid abuse in pro baseball? I am shocked that this kind of thing happens. I mean, those professional athletes are role models for heaven’s sake. I don’t know who to trust anymore.

 
Elsewhere in the news … Salmon bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, King of Saudi Arabia, passed on last week on at the age of 90. In the ever shifting sands of the Middle East, this may not bode well for future diplomatic relations with the United States. Apparently, King Abdullah was, by Saudi standards, progressive. Coupled with recent developments in Yemen and the relentless march of violent recidivist Muslim whackos, this news leaves me apprehensive. Apparently, there is a potentially destructive storm descending upon the north east coast of the U.S., with blizzard warnings and record amounts of snow predicted in the hardest hit areas. I am reminded of the recent 6’ snow dump in Lancaster, New York, near Buffalo, and of the devastation from that crippling ice storm blew through Toronto during the 2013 holiday season. Shauna’s mom was without power for over a week, and after the storm had passed, the cleanup took months. We take our electricity for granted, until we are deprived of it for a long period of time. We’ll see if the Chicken Littles are correct about this latest storm today. Whether all this severe weather is the result of the man-made depletion of the ozone layer, caused by the ever more industrialized world we live in, or because catastrophic weather is cyclical, there seems to be little doubt that we’re in for some meteorological ass kicking in our future. What saddens me is that, instead of adapting to what is likely an inevitable and unstoppable change, we are still led to believe we can alter the course of Mother Nature by driving Priuses. It might be more pro-active to rethink shoreline development, warning systems for over-populated danger zones, new energy-saving building products, technology to harness the ocean’s hydroelectric potential, localized economies, and yes, of course less dependence on oil. But let’s get real folks, there is no quick fix for the weather.  

 
January 29th 6-7 PM live on Hunter’s Bay Radio … tune in if you want and hear me play some of my songs.    

-Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: