Monday, December 22, 2014

The Oppenheimer Report 12-22-14



The best part about the holidays
A few weeks ago, Shauna’s mom Ethel bit the bullet and bought herself a tablet computer with her air miles points. We honestly did not think she would embrace the internet, especially using a tablet and touch screen technology; up until now she has shown little interest in “surfing the net.” She is just about to turn ninety, and she has always said that new technology is a bit overwhelming to her. But I remember my dad became internet savvy, well into his nineties, and he took to it instantly. Intelligence knows no boundaries. He was for decades his class agent for the Cornell University Alumni News, and an avid correspondent in general. Adding the internet and email to his tools of correspondence vastly upped his game. In much the same way, Ethel has thoroughly embraced this new form of communication, in a very short period of time. The other day she even figured out how to access her supermarket coupons online. She sends messages to friends and family, and recently, she learned how to navigate Facebook. This has been an amusing ride for Shauna and me. As Ethel discovers the wonders of limitless communication, so has she discovered the pitfalls of hitting the “Send” button. The other night, Shauna noticed that Mom Taylor had posted what she thought was a personal message, but instead of posting to her own timeline had posted to George Takei’s – you know, the man who played Lt. Sulu, helmsman on the starship Enterprise, on Star Trek. She is not quite clear about the security settings available for Facebook. No one is less a Trekkie than my mother-in-law, but there she was, sending personal messages to Sulu. Somehow she must have commented to one of his posts by accident, thus sending her “personal” message out to thousands of strangers. We are still trying to figure out how George Takei became her “friend” in the first place! Who else has she friended? Charles Manson? Kim Kardashian? And what is next for my newly enlightened mother-in-law? X-Box? Weird YouTube videos?

 
Last week was a good one for bad news. A lone terrorist commandeered a coffee shop in Sydney, Australia, killing two of his hostages in the standoff, before he himself was killed. Of course there are many questions about why this man had not been incarcerated already, given his rather long history of subversive behavior. There are so many ticking bombs, how can we diffuse them all? Another story that outraged me concerned the Taliban slaughtering about 100 schoolchildren and teachers in Pakistan. Talk about Charles Manson.These demented religious fundamentalist have given evil a new face, and their “buy or die” mentality flies in the face of any decent religious doctrine.  It saddens me when I get my song ideas from these horrible stories on the news. Someone was quoted as saying “The smallest coffins weigh the most” and I found that phrase profound. It is difficult to know how such perversion of everything that is decent and good can be deemed in any way a service to G-d. Then again, look at The Crusades, or Christmas for that matter.

 
America resumes diplomatic relations with Cuba after sixty years, and many Cuban Americans are up in arms. I do not know how I feel about this. I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, and those bombing drills in school … as if hiding under my desk was going to protect me from a nuclear bomb! I suppose it’s about time. It’s not as if America does not have relations with other oppressive regimes. While this restoration of diplomatic relations will inevitably send the message to the world that Castro won, and maybe he did, the lifting of embargos will likely benefit the beleaguered Cuban people, which is the silver lining. Surely it will improve the Cuban economy. Finally the Cubans will have Big Macs, crappy movies, and access to new American cars. Rejoice Raul, you no longer need to jury rig the old Desoto.     

 
My favorite talk show hosts are going off the air! I was both a David Letterman and a Craig Ferguson fan. I just watched Ferguson’s last show, which surprisingly featured Jay Leno as his final guest. Considering Letterman’s production company produces Ferguson’s show, that seemed an odd choice, but apparently Ferguson and Leno are buddies. For Josh Robert Thompson, the guy who was the voice behind Ferguson’s wisecracking gay robot skeleton, it might be cancellation bookings in the Poconos. That would be a shame because the guy is really funny. Final entertainment comment: About the Sony hacking scandal – now they think it was that little pimp, Make Me Ill Junior, in North Korea, and they have scuttled the Christmas release of the new blockbuster comedy The Interview, because of terrorist threats. What a wuss move! I could care less about the release, and am still working on trying to see movies released five years ago, but has anyone else noticed how often our sensitive databases are being compromised by cyber terrorism? While I do not know much about the fundamentals of hacking, it occurs to me that the horse of out of the barn, with both oars out of the water, and he didn’t look before he leapt. Too many of those anarchist guys with the “V” masks on, it makes me nervous. Time to invest in diamonds.

 
The smartest Bush running for president? Jeb will throw his hat in the ring, maybe. I am sure if he does, the big “elephant money” will all go his way. I can see the slogan now: “Vote for me, I’m not as big a train wreck as the other guys!” I can spell and I know how to pronounce N-U-C-L-E-A-R! Hillary Clinton vs. Jeb Bush, that could be an interesting race. Seriously, who would really want to lead America right now? Are there any leaders who can fix the mess we’re in? 

 
Peace and love to all my readers, Merry Festivus,  Happy whatever, with whomever!!

 

Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2014 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: