Monday, September 22, 2014

The Oppenheimer Report 9/22/14


Camani's Screaming Heads

Last Saturday, my best friend Bob and his wife Laura drove all the way up from Buffalo to visit us here in the near north. I was recently corrected when I mistakenly referred to our locale as “the great white north.” This term apparently refers to that vast area of the untamed wilderness hundreds of miles to our north. And there is a LOT of Canada further to our north.  Bob and Laura have not seen our house since they visited well before its completion, around in 2009. Their first visit was when the logs were stacked about halfway up the second floor, and the house had not yet been stained. Their second visit occurred when the house was nearly complete. Quite a lot of water has rushed under the old bridge since that last visit, and the house feels decidedly more lived in now. That includes the flying squirrels, bats, groundhogs, voles, and various other rodent and non-rodent creatures which call Jasper Bark Lodge their home. Of course, and in keeping with the kind of summer it has been up here, the weather was desperate, as the Irish might say, and it poured cats and dogs for their entire visit. Not to be discouraged, Saturday we seized one break in the deluge to take a quick boat ride to the far end of the big lake. Sometimes one must simply ignore the horrible weather. That is what foul weather gear is all about.

Sunday we had great plans to do some more foul weather boating before our guests had to leave, but the rain came down too hard. So much rain fell that it almost sank my little dinghy.  Instead, Shauna and I gave our friends a guided tour of Burk’s Falls and the surrounding area. Everyone who travels to our community should see our new (and only) stoplight, and of course, the recently constructed Tim Horton’s donut emporium. That Timmy’s really put us on the map, and people should be made aware of the fact that Burk’s Falls has now “arrived.” Next, we drove out Midloathian road to the site of Peter Camani’s sprawling property and sculpture park, Screaming Heads. Carmani is or was an art teacher at one of the local high schools, and is well known in the area for his giant, sometimes spooky, concrete sculptures, spread out across his vast property. What has been a work in progress for well over fifteen years now is a formidable art installation. One can learn more about this unique phenomenon simply by googling “screaming heads”. Frequently there are special events held on the property – I understand he’s thrown a mean fall equinox party or two – and when we visited last Sunday, there were a Frisbee golf tournament in progress. There were thirty or more cars in the parking lot, and I felt awful for the attendees, mostly campers in tents, because the weather was bordering on abominable. I suppose we must all suck it up and quit complaining about the weather ... as if that will ever happen! I wish there was at least some way of diverting a little of this precipitation to my cousins in the Northwest, who are complaining of draught.

I’ve been working to improve my performing skills, and have been practicing my songs at home in front of a mic and with an amplifier. Recordings of my recent live performances have made it obvious to me that there is ample room for improvement. As I seem to have more and more opportunities to play my songs in public – I have been offered two more shows in the next week – I need to work on presenting my songs better. About a month away from shoulder surgery, I am eager to get as many live performances under my belt as I can before a possibly long hiatus. Last week, I was fortunate to perform again at the third Friday Burk’s Falls coffee house, the first in its new venue. These shows are now being held at the Burk’s Falls Royal Canadian Legion, which provides a room much better suited for live performances than the old venue. All of the artists put on a great show last Friday night, and I think we were well received. I had the pleasure of calling up my friend Barry Hayward to accompany me on the conga drums for two of my songs. He really improved my performance, so thank you Barry! I am delighted to be playing my music in front of an attentive audience, and I hope I can continue to do this for a long time. Carpe Diem, weather be damned.     
 
- Written by Jamie Oppenheimer c2014 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: